Hybrid Bike advice needed

skiveyskitten
skiveyskitten Posts: 2
edited September 2011 in Commuting general
Hey all,

Joined the cycle to work schemem after my bike got knicked. I've got £600 :D to spend at Halfords :(

I was originally going to order the Whyte Malvern but that went tits up as it was £650 & Halfords woudn't do a deal!

I can get them to order in & really like the look of the Marin San Rafael (had a life long love affair with Marin's). I was going to just order that but see the Boardman Performance Hybrid Comp seems to have quite good reviews.

What are your thoughts on it all?
Thanks

Mel

Comments

• AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    edited September 2011
    All they review I've seen have been very positive, looks like Boardman can do no wrong.

If I didn't have so many bikes I'd have one .......... if they were sold somewhere else than Halfords . :?

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • Boardmans are consistently good value for money, and well made. Between those two, there's not much to choose in the spec except that (according to the all-knowing Internet) the Marin has front suspension while the Boardman doesn't. They both seem fairly reasonably specced but not outstanding; though the Boardman is somewhat ahead, it's not enough that I'd base a decision on that alone.

I'd say, between those two, that the choice comes down to whether you plan to take it off road. If not, then suspension will only slow you down and the rigid Boardman is a better choice. Whichever you choose, the biggest thing to beware of is Halfords -- their staff vary hugely in competence, so check over the bike before riding to make sure it's been put together properly.