Buying a new bike

Frank the tank
Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
edited September 2011 in The bottom bracket
How do you fund it?
Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    edited September 2011
    Save!

I already have a bike, so it'd be crazy to buy another on credit since it's not a vital purchase.

Another bike would be luxury.

If I was up against it and needed some transport to work, I'd think about credit > (or just get a cheaper bike)
  • That is my prefered method, though I have taken advantage of a credit card on occassion when it's been 0% on new purchases for six month or whatever.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Use the wife's credit card :wink: ...that stops her buying unnecessary items such as clothes and shoes
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    i usually get the other half to buy me new shiny stuff, in return i will do the washing up a few times and buy her a bunch of flowers if there are any on special offer.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • CTW? Interest free & tax-reduced credit
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Insurance claim after been knocked off/stolen was the last time
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. H.G. Wells
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    I chose 'save' because that's what I'd normally do, but when my commuter got nicked I went CTW as I wanted transport sooner than I could save up (although I'd have done interest free credit if I could have got what I wanted that way).

But generally I'm with Rick.
  • Gotta be save for me as well, nothing beats waiting to have enough cash to buy it, then actually getting it. Much more rewarding feeling that just paying off a credit card loan.

Or follow pasteyboys way, also a good one!
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    Save, unless it is an absolutely necessary purchase. For instance if this is your main mode of transport and you really really need something sharpish due to a theft/serious mechanical and the like.

I must admit that if something was too good to miss and there was a 0% offer on I might take the plunge and make sure I pay it off soon as.

As for a credit scheme in general (excluding CTW etc) we all fish for the best discounts to try and save £50 or something, so why buy on finance and shell out 20% on top of the cost in interest?
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • I've got a mountain bike and a road bike through my employer's cycle to work scheme.
  • Mccaria
    Mccaria Posts: 869
    Cash down and buy it. Nothing beats instant gratification, except buyer's remorse
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,179
    Credit card but save the cash first and pay it off straight away. More back up if anything goes wrong with it.
  • Credit Card everytime with the cash ready to pay off. Got to be done for the enhanced consumer protection you get.
    Allez Triple (hairy with mudguards) - FCN 4
    Ribble Gran Fondo
    1892 Posts: 1,690
    I paid cash & haggled!

It was going to be the last bike I every brought, I was way over the budget I'd set aside. It was worth every penny. I could do with another one, for the winter.
    Justice for the 96
  • well my latest ones have been

christmas box from wife
    bike2work
    birthday present from wife
    random present from wife

the other three only cost £500 in total, loose change over 20 years

i'm starting to think wor lass doesn't like me around the house. i can live with that
  • Didnt save, but just paid cash from this months wages.

Would save for my next one/large component spend as it is a nicer feeling when you have the money finally, and can buy those bikes/bits.
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    bought all my current cycling things cash, but i'm buying a new road bike on a 13month 0pc ccd.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Save. Buying on credit, unless its all interest free, is an idiots game.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • I got both my road bikes on 0% finance with Cycleway, I know you tend not to get sales prices or the normal 10% knocked off the asking price but I was happy to do that. I'd go down that route again if necessary.