Gear window thingy...

adrenalinemunki
adrenalinemunki Posts: 213
edited September 2011 in MTB general
I'm curious chaps, I haven't messed with the positioning of the gear selection screen (or whatever its called) and it pretty much points away from me:

gear-screen.jpg

Everything seems comfortably positioned so I don't want to mess too much, but this kinda seems like a ridiculous design since you can't even see it without standing up...

I'm sure I could live without it no problem, but why design something like that? that view I've posted above should be what you see from the other side not the front!

Strangeness.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    ?
    ?????????????????????????????
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Left shifter.
  • Does that mean... someone put them on the wrong way round and I've assumed its meant to be like that? you don't know why I ask such questions? you're keyboards busted?
  • ahh you nipped in there before i posted vanamees...

I did consider that might be the case, but kindof assumed the spesh store wouldn't be that stoopid...

EDIT: although... that is how it looks on the official product photos too???

Look:

gear-screen-2.png
  • Does it actually matter, it's there IF you need it, which is never. Not a design fault, but keeps your hands also free to move around, and you can always slide a tiny bit forward to view the gears IF you need it.
  • Nope doesn't actually matter... like I said in my first post I'm just curious...
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    The reason they are positioned there is because any further round and they would wrap the bars. They are pointless anyway. Take them off (if they come with replacement covers).

PS - They are fitted correctly.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Deore windows aren't removable I don't think?

I upgraded to SLX when I bought the bike specifically so I could take them off.
    2011 Cannondale Trail SL 29er HERE
  • earls
    earls Posts: 48
    You can't remote deore windows, I too changed to slx shifters to get rid of the windows. If I couldn't see the window my positioning would wrong, dipped too far forward. Your arms and hands should run straight from your shoulders.

SAying that it's whatever you're comfortable with!
  • Dan_xz
    Dan_xz Posts: 130
    Bad design. On the higher end shifters I believe the window is on the back edge of the housing rather than the top.

That said, you do seem to have your controls pointing very downwards - can you still reach the brake levers comfortably when hanging off the back for steep drops?