New bike thoughts

mudcow007
mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
edited September 2011 in Commuting chat
right Specialized have said they will replace my Tricross (because of the factory recall on the forks)

just phoned my LBS who said that to get the bike exchanged i will have to give them my bike now an will have to wait until the end of September til the new ones are out.

The LBS said they have the correct forks for my bike now in stock so i could stick with my existing bike an get the forks changed again. My current tricross has done about 2000 miles since March so will be needed chain an cassette at some point...

i think i would rather have a new bike so i'm currently looking at the Specialized Secteur Sport 2012 (£800) or Tricross Sport 2012 (£900)

my bike was £750 so i would need to give the additional towards it

thoughts?
Keeping it classy since '83

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Secteur.

For no reason other than it's actually made for the road :P

And it's £100 cheaper.
  • Road bike! Road bike! Road bike!

:twisted:
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    How much do you like the Tricross? Do you want the same again or would you prefer something a bit different?
    Regarding the delay how have you been coping without the bike? Presumably you can wait longer as the Tricross was relatively new anyway.
  • Oh, and I'd go for the Allez; In for a penny, and all that. You too can laugh at all the slow Tricross owners...
  • rick_chasey
    Oh, and I'd go for the Allez; In for a penny, and all that. You too can laugh at all the slow Tricross owners...

A good point.
  • mudcow007
    i did quite like the Tricross i must admit

but i do quite like the look of this

48359.png

the newer model of my tricross doesn't have carbon forks either, so i would have to pay for the Sport model which is an extra £150

the Secteur has a better groupset an carbon forks, i think its a winner
  • As a commuter? Space for guards / rack? Comfortable for the mileage? Can you ask for a discount for the equivalent bike to one they messed up?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • veronese68
    My Kona is the equivalent of the Tricross I suppose, if I was buying a new bike I'd go for something lighter and more road orientated. I'd still want a rack and mudguards though.
  • Take the tricross to the LBS

Get the forks replaced

Keep riding.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • £800 for a Specialized Secteur Sport with Sora shifters seems abit steep to me...
  • £800 for a Specialized Secteur Sport with Sora shifters seems abit steep to me...

Yes! Considering that back in 2007 I got a full carbon Focus Cayo with 105 groupset for £799!
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Take the tricross to the LBS

Get the forks replaced

Keep riding.

This. I'd normally say go Allez but it doesn't seem worthwhile, get the free replacement and abuse it through the winter. New chain and cassette is less than £25, nothing really and you should get more than 2k out of your current setup.
  • rick_chasey
    £800 for a Specialized Secteur Sport with Sora shifters seems abit steep to me...

Yes! Considering that back in 2007 I got a full carbon Focus Cayo with 105 groupset for £799!

In '05 I got a specialized allez with Tiagra(which I think is better than Sora which now on the allez is in total, what, £700?) for £350.
  • The top tube meeting the seat tube halfway up makes it look like a women's bike. Just my opinion.
  • veronese68
    I would go for Tiagra at least. I tried a bike with Sora shifters and didn't like them.
  • neiltb
    neiltb Posts: 332
    I all but doubled my bike budget after trying one with sora shifters, they were 'orrible.
    FCN 12
  • mudcow007
    whats the difference between 2300 and Sora?

my current/ old Tricross has 2300
  • Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    I run one sora shifter on my commuter bike and whilst they work you can't work them from the drops unless you have Marfan syndrome.

they work but you will soon find yourself on ebay looking for used 9 speed tiagra shifters.
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • veronese68
    Not tried 2300 but I think they may be more like Sora. Tiagra and above have a nice long lever behind the brake lever to drop down the gears. Nice to use and easy to reach from various positions. Sora has a little thumb lever to release tension which can be hard to get to.
    When buying my bike I tried both types and MUCH preferred the longer lever as on Tiagra so made sure I got a bike with that.
  • 2300 is the lowest grade isn't it? Lower than Sora...
  • mudcow007
    2300 is the lowest grade isn't it? Lower than Sora...

yep think so. i dont know any different than 2300 so i was pretty happy with them to be honest
  • mudcow007 wrote:

yep think so. i dont know any different than 2300 so i was pretty happy with them to be honest

Imagine eating McDonalds all your life and never having tasted steak?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • se-po
    se-po Posts: 47
    mudcow007 wrote:

Is it really so tragic?
    (owner of a basic secteur with a 2300 :D )
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    se-po wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:

Is it really so tragic?
    I wouldn't put it that bluntly! More like McDonalds compared to a proper restaurant burger.

I commuted on 2300 for over a year daily on my old Tricross and it works fine. Compared to 105 and Ultegra it's a bit more clunky, but you could argue that 2300 lasts longer as there might be a compromise between durability and weight on the higher groupsets. The thumbshift didn't pose much problems as I use the hoods 90% of the time during a commute anyway.
  • kelsen wrote:
    se-po wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:

Is it really so tragic?
    I wouldn't put it that bluntly! More like McDonalds compared to a proper restaurant burger.

I commuted on 2300 for over a year daily on my old Tricross and it works fine. Compared to 105 and Ultegra it's a bit more clunky, but you could argue that 2300 lasts longer as there might be a compromise between durability and weight on the higher groupsets. The thumbshift didn't pose much problems as I use the hoods 90% of the time during a commute anyway.

I've used 2300, Sora, Tiagra and 105 on various bikes and I don't think there is any kind of durability sacrifice in favour of weight or lightness of touch, they have all lasted well, but there is a very noticeable difference in accuracy and lightness of shift the higher up the groupset range you go...
  • Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    I'll update this with a picture when I get home to show my set up.

Sora/2300 is fine for the front mech but I was doing my head in for the rear. I run Ultegra on bike number 1 and it's a pleasure to change gear, so on bike number 2 I know have 105 for the rear mech and the ride in today the shifting was smooth under load and it meant I could stay in the drops the whole run in, great into a head wind.

The throws are about half the distance, the breaking with the same breaks is noticeably more positive with the 105 shifter from the sora shifter and hoods fit my hands better so no numbness in pad at the base of my thumb.
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • I have the 2010 Secteur Sport. That was £650, and I've been happy with it - certainly pretty comfortable. I'm fine with the Sora, as are most people I think. £150 is a pretty steep increase in 2 years - so although I'd be happy to recommend the bike, suspect there is better value for money out there.
  • mudcow007
    winner!!

spoke to my LBS on the weekend an they have said Specialized will take my Tricross back (full refund) plus 10% of what the bike cost so £750 + 10% = £825

New secteur sport is £800 so im up

bike should be here by the end of the month, i asked the LBS what will happen to my bike an they said they are scrapped in a skip at Specialized :(
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    mudcow007 wrote:
    winner!!

spoke to my LBS on the weekend an they have said Specialized will take my Tricross back (full refund) plus 10% of what the bike cost so £750 + 10% = £825

New secteur sport is £800 so im up

bike should be here by the end of the month, i asked the LBS what will happen to my bike an they said they are scrapped in a skip at Specialized :(

Where is that skip?
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5