Specialized Hardrock DISC 2011 and those Alex rims?

tooorangey4crows
tooorangey4crows Posts: 48
edited September 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey all, long time reader but 1st time poster so please, be gentle...

I have been lucky enough to gain a red/white 23" Specialized Hardrock Disc (2011 model) through my works 'bike to work' scheme, as seen HERE http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... gn=froogle

Now, went on my 1st ever trail to Coed Y Brenin over the weekend and completed the much revered Dragon Run in the RAIN... :shock: is all I'm saying. Anyway, bout 1/2 way through I smacked a rock and went into a tree, now despite several bruses and cut up to sheet legs (those DMR pedals are BRUTAL!) luckily my helmet probably managed to save my live but that's here nor there, what my REAL problem is my front wheel, a 'Alex HR 26 inch, alloy double wall, pinned, 32 hol'e... is severely buckled and the rim is actually cracked right through just underneath where the transparrent sticker is! :cry: thereby making it unworthy of a 'making it true again' fix. The only redeeming feature is the inner and tyre are just fine, lucky I managed to finish the trail and get home!

So, I'm well and truly confused, do I... :?:

A. Try it on with the store and try and blag a new wheel
B. Try it on with Specialized/AlexRims and same blag
C. Bite the bullet and try and source an exact replacement from Specialized/AlexRims

And then there is the issue of if/when I get/blag/purchase a new wheel do I need to retain the middle bit (hub?) that spins around, if so, how the hell do you fit the spokes???? and what about the disc brake?!?!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
current steeds
mountain - Scott 'Scale 80' [2012]
hybrid - Raliegh 'Urban 3' [2008]

Comments

• johnsav
    johnsav Posts: 775
    youve probably broken the weld on the rim :lol:

id have thought they would laugh at you if you tried to claim a new wheel to be honest
  • tsenior
    tsenior Posts: 664
    none of the above, buy a new wheel: ask on the buying advice page, then choose better lines to prevent reoccurance :)

keep the old hub in case you ever decide to learn wheel building, then stick it on ebay with the rest of your "too good to throw out" junk in about 5 years :wink:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    From another angle. Crash your car. Go back to the dealer and ask for a new one.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools