Any suggestions for Autumn tights or trousers?

joelsim
joelsim Posts: 7,552
edited September 2011 in Commuting chat
I bought some Gore Roubaix bib tights for colder days, but what's best for the next couple of months? I don't want to spend a fortune.

Comments

• Leg warmers.
  • joelsim
    Really? Better than a pair of tights?
  • Joelsim wrote:
    I use them right through the winter, but they are intended for autumn/spring. The main advantage over tights is that you can change your mind half way through a ride. Main disadvantage is getting them to stay put, and its probably fair to say that they aren't "tailored" as well as tights. But I've got a set of Craft ones which are brilliant for staying put and various other brands which are nearly as good.

Ditto for arm warmers.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Joelsim wrote:
    I use them right through the winter, but they are intended for autumn/spring. The main advantage over tights is that you can change your mind half way through a ride and then have to take of your shoes to remove the leg warmers. Main disadvantage is getting them to stay put, and its probably fair to say that they aren't "tailored" as well as tights plus you have to carry them home in the evening. But I've got a set of Craft ones which are brilliant for staying put and various other brands which are nearly as good.

Ditto for arm warmers.
    FTFY

Once the evenings get a little cooler to match the mornings, just get a pair of tights. Otherwise, MTFU. Leg warmers are a faff. I know as I've got a pair :p
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • joelsim
    Cant decide on tights or Endura Humvees
  • joelsim
    Any particular tights that you would recommend. Ideally £50 or so.
  • Joelsim wrote:
    Any particular tights that you would recommend. Ideally £50 or so.

I believe Pretty Polly do three pairs for a tenner, but if you really want to impress that special man in your life, why not go for stockings and suspenders instead?
  • Wrath Rob wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:
    I use them right through the winter, but they are intended for autumn/spring. The main advantage over tights is that you can change your mind half way through a ride and then have to take of your shoes to remove the leg warmers. Main disadvantage is getting them to stay put, and its probably fair to say that they aren't "tailored" as well as tights plus you have to carry them home in the evening. But I've got a set of Craft ones which are brilliant for staying put and various other brands which are nearly as good.

Ditto for arm warmers.
    FTFY

Once the evenings get a little cooler to match the mornings, just get a pair of tights. Otherwise, MTFU. Leg warmers are a faff. I know as I've got a pair :p

Do you regard hiking trousers which can be turned into shorts to be inferior to one which can't on the basis that converting them is a faff? You don't *have* to take your legwarmers off mid ride if you don't want - you can have the full tights experience by leaving them on the whole time.

Get a set with ankl zips. That helps.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Arm warmers are fantastic but not sold on leg warmers. Tend to MTFU with the legs, they soon warm up and if you mess up and wear tights and the weathers nice they are generally very good at not overheating!
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Arm warmers you can remove as you ride. To do this with leg warmers you'd have to be very talented.

Must admit I like arm warmers and find them very useful for the frequent chilly morning but warmer afternoon scenario.

leg wise I move between shorts, 3/4 length trousers and Ron Hill leggings depending on the season.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,377
    It's the knees that I find really need a bit of extra insulation on the chilly autumn mornings. I've been very happy with some mid-weight Endura 3/4 knickers. They're a few years old, so the nearest equivalent model is Men's Meryl Knickers

http://www.endura.co.uk/Product.aspx?dept_id=130&prod_id=70
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Yeah, I'll be using 3/4 knickers until it gets <5C. I find you just need to keep your knees sheltered from the wind when its really cold, your calves and thighs sort themselves out after 5-10 mins.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Bikester material is not totally windproof, its a good, cheap, durable solution for most winter conditions except when it gets very cold.
    3/4 style knickers are a good option.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    When it gets nippy I find if I don't cover my knees they get achey so I tend to stick with knee warmers (lusso roubaix ones at the moment) till it gets silly cold then I go to tights but it has to be very cold to go there
  • joelsim
    Just got some of these for £40 which is about half price, from a shop in Edinburgh that came up on Google shopping.

http://www.gorebikewear.co.uk/remote/Sa ... 722558064A