What does everyone use for pumps, repair kits etc?

mikewoods
mikewoods Posts: 135
edited October 2011 in MTB beginners
So when I was riding everyone had their pumps fastened in their frames and under saddle wedge packs were cool. Is this still the case or what is normal now? does everyone use back packs and put everything in there or what?

Comments

• bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    Spare tube. Park Tools patches. Pump. All in my pack.

Unless you can put everything you need in a wedge, your pockets and on your bike then you'll be taking a pack anyway. Once you have a pack you may as well keep it packed with everything you need so you can grab it and go.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Camelbak type pack with tube, puncture kit, pump, multitool, powerlinks, jacket and snacks.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Mountain Morph Pump. 2x inner tubes. Puncture repair kit. Leatherman. Torch. Park Tools Folding Allen Key set. Park Tools Emergency Tyre Boot. Park Tools Super Patch Kit. PVC tape. Cable ties. Small bottle of water. Antiseptic wipes. Bandage.

All in a small backpack
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • ...soon to be added - chain splitting tool & power links (when they turn up from CRC)
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • I got back into this about three months ago, and after a 15 plus year absence Camelbaks have been invented! Very useful though, and allow you to keep everything together and clean away from the bike.

I've just bought a Topeak Peak DXII pump, it comes with a bottle mount bracket, but I'll probably just carry it in the pack. I also use the Park patches when out and about, and just use the 'old style' puncture repair kits for home repairs.
    2011 Cannondale Trail SL 29er HERE
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Given the number of pumps I have found when riding trails, suggests that attaching them to the frame is not a good idea.

Having said that a bit of velco for added security would fix the problem, but personally I keep mine in my pack.

Any cheap puncture repair kit will do. I buy mine from the poundshop and they are fine.
  • Got a small Balckburn pump attached to the bottle cage via a bracket.
    Comes with a velcro strap to hold it in place too - no chance of it coming loose.
    Other than that I carry a spare tube, tyre levers and multitoll in a small seat bag.
    That does the trick for my commute.

If I'm out for more than 2 hours, I take any extra tools, food, basic first aid stuff and my lights in a backpack.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • I don't see many people with stuff strapped to their bikes, like others have said it is all usually all in a hydration pack of some sorts.
  • great stuff guys - looks like the pack is the way forward!
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    cooldad wrote:
    Camelbak type pack with tube, puncture kit, pump, multitool, powerlinks, jacket and snacks.

X2 but with a small first aid kit added.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Everything in jersey pockets, tube (if I have one to hand), CO2 pump, multitool.
  • njee20 wrote:
    Everything in jersey pockets, tube (if I have one to hand), CO2 pump, multitool.

I don't like the idea of coming off with stuff in my pockets, hurts just thinking about it.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Fair enough. Never had a problem myself, but I can see where you're coming from.
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    diy wrote:
    Given the number of pumps I have found when riding trails, suggests that attaching them to the frame is not a good idea.

Having said that a bit of velco for added security would fix the problem, but personally I keep mine in my pack.
    I always used to have my pumps fixed to the frame (they normally come with velcro for security), however after not using a pump for a couple of years, a good run of luck you might say, I had cause to use it one day. It basically fell apart in my hands. Two years worth of water and crud had taken its toll and the pump was good for nothing.

Replacement pump has always been kept in Camelbak.

I have a frame mounted pump and wedge for tube and tools on my road bike as I use a bottle rather than Camelbak on that.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • Mountain Morph Pump. 2x inner tubes. Puncture repair kit. Leatherman. Torch. Park Tools Folding Allen Key set. Park Tools Emergency Tyre Boot. Park Tools Super Patch Kit. PVC tape. Cable ties. Small bottle of water. Antiseptic wipes. Bandage.

All in a small backpack

I'm missing quite a few of those - thanks for the ideas. I also carry a couple of space blankets - they're tiny, and you never know what can happen when you're up on the moors :?
  • I carry a spare inner tube, tyre levers, mini pump and a multitool in a Camelbak. The pump has a velcro strip that can be used to attach it to my Camelbak. No problems with it falling off yet!

I used to carry a puncture repair kit, but don't anymore. Reason being, it's easier and quicker to just replace a tube. Repairing it on the go on a wet, cold day has never been worth the hold up to the other riders and myself.

I carry the tyre levers because they're easier to use than the ones on the multi-tool.
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    I also carry a local map (waterproof OS as the paper one did not survive the winter). Useful for those 'hmm, I wonder where that goes' moments.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • All I take is my i-phone. Apparently the apps can fix your bike, tell you where to go & give you a vertual drink. Awsome ;)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I have it on good authority that it can lick your balls as well. iWank.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I've actually seen guys walking back up the trail asking people if they've seen a water bottle etc which leapt from the bike during a rocky section. You soon find that you need to carry more than is comfortable in pockets and attached to the bike.

Dakine packs (I have the Drafter) are awesome... I've tried quite a few brands and those are the best in my opinion.

The pump I use is an aluminum Lezyne model, flippin' awesome piece of kit!

Welcome back to mountain biking!
    www.trailguru.co.uk - The ultimate guide to mountain biking in Wales
  • Tom4
    Tom4 Posts: 69
    I use the Lezyne HV drive mini pump which comes with a hose attachment to save busting the valve when pumping.

Normally carry, pump, puncture repair kit, multitool, lock, spare tube and water in a back pack
  • -Shock Pump
    -Tyre Pump
    -Spare Tube
    -Lezyne puncture kit (With emergency boots and rougher)
    -3 Tyre levers
    -High Vis Jacket
    -Waterproof Jacket
    -Tools
    -Assortment of Cable Ties
    -Water Purifiers
    -Anti-septic wipes
    -Jelly Babies
    -Torch
    -Phone
    -Wallet
    -Lock
    -Space for food!

Still light enough to not notice my bag when biking but containing most of the essentials, just on the look out for a small First-Aid kit now :idea:
    Very funny Scotty, now beam me down my clothes.
  • I have no idea what my manservant carries for me. Seems to work though.