over tiredness while commuting

phelim12
phelim12 Posts: 16
edited September 2011 in Commuting chat
i have started commuting 8miles in and out off work to avoid sitting in traffic, but wanted to start commuting from the house which is 30mls away but am worried about overtiredness both at work and home, therefore i wanted to ask how do you go about avoiding this.

Comments

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    phelim12 wrote:
    i have started commuting 8miles in and out off work to avoid sitting in traffic, but wanted to start commuting from the house which is 30mls away but am worried about overtiredness both at work and home, therefore i wanted to ask how do you go about avoiding this.

A 60 mile round trip is a bit much in my opinion. It would take ages, you'd be knackered, you'd spend all of your wages of food and bike bits and you could start resenting the ride rather than looking forward to the time on the bike.
    Is there any way you could drive or take the train part of the way and ride the rest?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    30 miles each way is a long slog with a working day. You will be able to do it, but I think it's on the extremes of viability. Your commute will go to about ~4 hours/day, and I found that hard in the car last time I did it.

You'd be really quite fit though, and you could eat like a horse, assuming you could stay awake..
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Do it 2 or 3 days a week so you get a break.
    Dolan Preffisio
    2010 Cube Agree SL
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    ^^^ What he said im also looking at commuting but 15 miles each way, however i work 12hour shifts so am also worried about tiredness after a shift. Think im going to drive two shifts and bike two shifts.
  • i could park 15mls away from work and do it 3 times a week, hopefully this well be ok and leave me feeeling ok and fitter.
  • Rigga wrote:
    ^^^ What he said im also looking at commuting but 15 miles each way, however i work 12hour shifts so am also worried about tiredness after a shift. Think im going to drive two shifts and bike two shifts.
    That's absolutely doable. I ride 15 miles EW and at the moment we've got some overtime at work, so I leave home at 4.15 am, back 5.40 pm, sometimes even after 7.00... Thing is I have been riding for a while so it's not a problem for me to pedal on the route I know pretty well now. It mostly depends of your fitness level.

You'll eat A LOT and drink plenty of coffee ;-)
  • I manage 30miles/day, 5 days/week and I know I'm not alone in doing so. I also work 10 - 12 hour days, normally leave house at 6:30, in work, showered, breakfasted and at desk by 8:30, rarely leave before 6:30-7 (but 8 and even 9 has been known when we have a major system release) and home, showered and eaten by 9:30 at which point I am ready for bed, but often spend an hour or two doing other project related activities or online research and forum browsing. I get about 6h sleep a night which probably isn't really enough but it seems to work Ok for me. I have one rest day on Saturday and usually get out for a club ride of 40 - 50miles on the Sunday.

I guess a 30mile commute each way is doable, but maybe not every day - a lot depends on the terrain, its obviously more viable the flatter it is. I plan to do a 30mile commute next week, from the City down to Tonbridge, and back the next morning, but just the once (and that is definitely NOT flat). I'll let you know how it feels :)
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • dcurzon
    dcurzon Posts: 290
    door to door is 25 miles for me. I drive half way (so i'm inside the m25) then cycle the remaining.

Last week on tuesday (because BH Monday i had no cycling) i decided to do the whole journey. Took 1.5hrs each way so didnt actually affect my commute time by anymore than 15 minutes each way, and was quite a nice journey! Even stuck in a 10mile PB whilst i was at it (the part of the journey that is on London outskirts. Once i hit Tottenham Hale, i hit traffic and lights).

But it did affect the rest of the week for me. Enough just to make it a little harder each day on my drive/cycle.

Could i do that 5 days? Not a chance! I'd like to start doing it once a week, but with the weather starting to change, i doubt i'll be doing it again. If the weather had been crap/wet/windy on that day, i wouldnt have enjoyed it at all. At least i know that with my usual routine, if i'm going to get wet, it'll only be for 40 minutes.

Maybe next year...
    B'Twin Sport 1
    FCN 7 =4, +2(non cycling clothes) +1(beard)
  • Depends on many factors. But if it's raining or very windy it will be a bit grim to do nearly 2hrs on the road each way.

If you don't need the car you could drive to work with the bike in the back, leave it at work and then cycle home. That way you're spreading your trip over two days.