Building First Bike - 2006 Specialized Enduro

Solway19
Solway19 Posts: 4
edited September 2011 in MTB beginners
Hi!

I have got in to mountain bikeing over the past year or so and have a Boardman Comp HT. I recently went out with one of my mates to do some downhill on the fells, he has an enduro also. When getting fed up of being all over the place on my HT i had a go on his and was amazed! I have now bought a 2006 enduro which is an ex demo one in yellow with the standard fit rear shock.
As i am new to this game i am after some advice. My initial plan was to buy some forks and then strip the boardman and put the compatible parts on to the FS and then upgrade the parts as i can afford it and eventually end up with the hardtail back in action.
My mate is trying to talk me out of this and im confused now as he reckons its not cost effective. He has recommended the following components to look for:

Forks
Fox 36 Vans
Rock Shock Lyriks
Marzocchi 55/66's

Groupset
Shimano SLX

Rims
Sun Rims

My question, is this advice sound and is it worth looking for second hand and if so what to look out for? Any advice appreciated. Thanks in advance :?: [/u]

Comments

• diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    It always costs more to build up a bike than to buy a bike used. You can get a used 06 enduro for about £500. Even with used parts it will cost the best part of a grand to build one up.

So either dump the frame on ebay and look for a used enduro or build something special to suit what you want.

I did what you are doing a couple of years back and turned HT into full sus via with an enduro frame. I ran it for about 3 years and recently changed the frame to a stumpjumper.

Enduros are great bikes, personally I'd put some tough rims on, an RP23 shock and build the rest up as light as possible.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What's on it at the moment, or is it just a frame?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Thanks for the replies guys. The frame i bought is the purely a frame with the standard rear shock, follow the link:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290604260257? ... 1423.l2649

Thanks for the link, i will break it to the mrs!! :lol:
  • diy
    Worth making sure the bearings are free before you build it up, I suspect 3 years without use could mean a load of noise once you've bedded it in, and that will drive you nuts.

Not sure its going to be economical to build up given what you already have. But you could get it going for the price of cables, brake hose kit, front mech, headset and seat post.

If you are lucky you might get away without adjusting the hoses, which will save you 50 quid.
  • Ok Thanks,

Feel slightily deflated now!! Want the satisfaction of building a bike up so will give it a go.

Thanks for the advice, Mark
  • cooldad
    They are really good frames and make an excellent do anything bike. Worth spending a bit of money on IMO.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Solway19. If it makes you feel any better about cost, you would be looking at a fairly tatty Enduro Comp for £500 i.e. bottom of the range. For a nice condition expert you are looking at £600-£700 on ebay.

I have been monitoring these models for the last 6 months! I think the price has crept up over the years as new bikes become more expensive and less well spec'd.

Should make you feel better about how much it costs you to build a nice example which I'm sure you will. :)
    If at first you don't succeed, spend some more money on kit!

Giant Trance X3 2011
  • I'm under the impression that it is a buyers market - Andymc06 may be right about them going up recently, but I've seen some really nice bikes go for not much money on Ebay in recent times whilst having great difficult in selling my own bikes. Parts however can still be expensive. I've spent a lot of money buiding up the Moment having bought the frame a few years ago - all the while watching similarly great bikes going for less than I would end up spending on my own build.
  • Could just be the "Specialized" factor keeping prices high due to their popularity.

Giant Trance X3 2011
  • I missed out on a well kitted out carbon 08 enduro that went for less than my moment has ended up costing. I don't think spesh are particularly desirable, though I did want one
  • diy
    Got to read the description a lot of the 6-7-800 quid bikes are kitted with upgrades that are only a couple of years or months old.

There have been some similar frames going for £200 and an S-works frame went for similar money to the OPs.

However, prices in september/october will be 20-25% lower than July/Aug.

best to look for an older Enduro or similar for a budget of £500 then do the transplant and should get £1-200 for the old frame, giving a decent set of kit for £300.

I sold my 02 enduro frame for £140 with a buyit now in under an hour..

Not sure I can say too much more about values without crossing forums rules.
  • Solway19 wrote:

Feel slightily deflated now!! Want the satisfaction of building a bike up so will give it a go.

Nice frame, I almost bidded on that one myself.....a couple of years ago I built up my own Enduro SL with an ebay frame. As others have said you can buy a 2nd hand bike for less than building your own, but by building your own you get an individual bike that is built to your own spec.

I say if you want to build your own, then do it. Nothing beats that 1st ride feeling when you know your bike is 'special'. 8)
  • Hmmm. Like I said, I have been monitoring all specialized enduros on ebay for the last 6 months having bought one and looking to get one for my brother.

Funnily enough I did read the descriptions and spec list as well as look at the pictures!

"I don't think spesh are particularly desirable, though I did want one"

That seems like a contrary, nonsensical comment to be honest.

My point was that the spesh's are always popular hence decent residual prices. This is evidenced by the auction site and the number you see on the trails.

I have never seen any decent examples go for the money you are talking about but I suppose it depends on your idea of decent. If you they do come up that cheap good luck to you. My intention really was to make the OP feel a little better about his project.

Giant Trance X3 2011