Riding while plastered?

arthur_scrimshaw
arthur_scrimshaw Posts: 2,596
edited September 2011 in Commuting general
Broke my wrist while on the mtb on Saturday, temporary plaster at the moment but having a full plaster on Friday. I presume it's possible to ride with a cast but is it sensible?

Anyone have any experience of this? I won't cope with being off the bike for 6 weeks.

Comments

• Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    Ha, not sure I'd risk it.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • Mr Plum wrote:
    Ha, not sure I'd risk it.

I was going to raise this at the fracture clinic but I'm pretty certain of the response I'd get!
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    Be fine if the back wheel is attached to a turbo.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I probably would, but then I'm foolish.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • neiltb
    neiltb Posts: 332
    After breaking a bone in my hand, I was advised not to drive, let alone cycle. My rehab guy after cast was off didn't want me cycling for another month.
    FCN 12
  • I thought you mean riding whilst drunk. Either way I don't think it's a good idea.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    I'd go for the turbo.

1 thing to note:-

I was in plaster for 2-3 weeks (broke a small bone) so carried on with the turbo. If you are properly training, you'll sweat. Over just a couple of weeks, the cast will get a bit whiffy. - You'll probably need to wipe it down as it will get very grubby if continuing to train.

Also, the things suck moisture out of your skin - hy hand was a pasty mess when it came out after 3 weeks.
  • fossyant wrote:
    I'd go for the turbo.

Also, the things suck moisture out of your skin

You've come to the right place for moisturising advice. :wink:

No, I'd wait for the plaster to come off before getting back on my bike.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Update

was due to go to the fracture clinic at 10:30, just as I was about to walk out the door the postman arrived with letter, consultants had reviewed my x rays and feel that my wrist is not broken, they've cancelled the appointment today but I've got to go in on Thursday for a review.
    They suggested I keep the slab plaster on 'for comfort' until then. However it's very uncomfortable and loose as hell now so I've replaced it with a wrist support.

Result! I'm so made up, didn't know how i was going to cope with being off the bike for so long. I'm still banned from riding by the wife but hope to overturn this in a few days!
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    I thought you mean riding whilst drunk. Either way I don't think it's a good idea.

thats what i thought too!!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • tomb353
    tomb353 Posts: 196
    I once hired a trike when recovering from a broken leg, figured there was less chance of falling off
    vendor of bicycle baskets & other stuff www.tynebicycle.co.uk
    www.tynebicycle.co.uk/blog
    Kinesis Tripster
    Gazelle NY Cab
    Surly Steamroller
    Cannondale F100