Welsh border counties

x3man
x3man Posts: 85
edited September 2011 in MTB general
Hi all

Of the towns/villages in the english/welsh border which, in your opinion, have the most to offer a mountain biker? In terms of scene, shops, local riding, proximity to trail centres and natural routes etc?

Comments

• d00m
    d00m Posts: 160
    Rhayader gives you plenty of options; lots of local riding, the black mountains, and nant yr arian isnt far either.
  • Church Stretton and Long Mynd riding
  • x3man
    Thanks guys

Never been to Church Stretton. Is there much there in the way of facilities/shops etc?

Anyone know what the larger towns such as Hereford/Shrewsbury/Oswestry are like as a centre for mountain biking?
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    abergavenny,

about 20 miles from hereford.

or monmouth...only really has the forest of dean though really.

shropshire is probably best. why the border specifically?
  • x3man
    @welshkev

Just curious really. Never spent much time in that area (I know its a large area!) but from what I can tell it looks like it could have alot to offer.
  • tsenior
    tsenior Posts: 664
    there is good natural riding on the welsh side fo the border full stop.

if you want very easy access to a TC its either north or south.

personally id like to live the welsh side of the the shropshire border somewhere in the oswestrty-shrewsbury-welshpool triangle. Its a lovely part of the world but still reasonably connected to civilisation.

church stretton, long mynd, A5 to llangollen for berwyns and coed llandegla, straight due west for coed y brennin due east (M54) to cannock

further to get to the south wales TCs but the black mountains and brecon are close enough.

i'll probably move somewhere down there myself when i'm shut of the kids.
  • there is good natural riding on the welsh side fo the border full stop.

Competition here, looking for info regarding good Welsh Trails, why not give it a go, sounds like you're clued up on it. :wink:

http://www.mtbe.co.uk/mtbe-visit-wales- ... 16982.html
  • Flintshire (Wales). Plenty of natural riding and right next to Llandegla. Can be in Snowdonia, Penmachno and Marin Trail within 40 mins.

Website with trail info:

http://www.ridetheclwyds.com/rideclwyds/index.asp
    Giant XTC SE 2006
    Cube LTD Race 2009
    Trek Fuel EX 9
  • Sorry, Flintshire and Denbighshire = Clwyd
    Giant XTC SE 2006
    Cube LTD Race 2009
    Trek Fuel EX 9
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    tsenior wrote:
    there is good natural riding on the welsh side fo the border full stop.

if you want very easy access to a TC its either north or south.

personally id like to live the welsh side of the the shropshire border somewhere in the oswestrty-shrewsbury-welshpool triangle. Its a lovely part of the world but still reasonably connected to civilisation.

church stretton, long mynd, A5 to llangollen for berwyns and coed llandegla, straight due west for coed y brennin due east (M54) to cannock

further to get to the south wales TCs but the black mountains and brecon are close enough.

i'll probably move somewhere down there myself when i'm shut of the kids.

If you want to head further into wales, the best place to be based is north or south wales like you say, i don't know much about south wales, but in north wales, if you're somewhere around betws y coed then you have the marin and penmachno very close, and coed y brenin and llandegla a little further but not ages away. There's also a LOT of non-trail centre riding, numerous downhill spots, if you're into that and loads of natural riding from the coast all the way through wales in snowdonia etc. I'm living in the bangor at the moment, and it's an amazing place to live in terms of riidng!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5