Salzkammergut ...............

murph
murph Posts: 2
edited September 2011 in XC and Enduro
Who's done it ? And what did you think ? Thinking of doing the full on 230k A route in 2012 :)
mountain goat !

Comments

• TimB34
    TimB34 Posts: 316
    Never heard of it before your post, but it looks good (especially the section through/along the cliffs!)

Don't think I can average 20kph over 10 hours though... at least not at the moment.

How did you hear of this? Magazines/websites or just word of mouth? I'd love to do something like this in the future and am trying to get to know what's around, especially in southern europe.
  • TimB34
    TimB34 Posts: 316
    Looks like fun for all the family, kids with stabilisers and unicycles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYc8jJJTYAE&NR=1

I especially like the crash at 2.20 - the medical staff all advance like vultures and seem a bit disappointed when the guy rides off, particularly the one rolling up his sleeves!
  • I've attempted it two times.

I flew with RyanAir from Stanstead and arranged a pick up from Salzburg airport to the town of Bad Goisern. If you need details of this company let me know as i cant recall their name right now.

The route basically consists of two very big mountains to climb and descend. It is not a very technical route but you have to be fit - the first climb alone took almost two hours. The event is very well organised and has a fun, family atmosphere, yet the riders are fiercely competitive. Cyclists are filmed by cameramen mounted on the back of (slightly annoying) XC motor bikes, and the images are shown live on a large TV screen in the town centre of Bad Goisern, where spectators can eat, drink and be merry whilst watching the event.

The weather can be variable...

The first time I went it rained. As you climbed higher into the mountains the rain became sleet with thunder and lightning. On the top it was just like a winter wonderland with snow hanging off the trees. That particular event was cancelled mid-way as it was judged to be too dangerous for the Mbikers to go up the second mountain. It was so cold on top it was dangerous.

The second time I went it was roasting hot and I could only manage 80km of the 110km as I nearly collapsed with heat exhaustion. So you see, i've never actually done the whole route !

Expect snowy mountains, lush forests, beautiful lakes and the world heritage site of Hallstatt. The incredible ledge section - Ewige Wand- will provide you a dramatic photo for the wall. But best of all are the people who genuinely and enthusiastically cheer you on everywhere. It's so, so different from the UK.