forks are gone

chemicalviking
chemicalviking Posts: 284
edited September 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
after been to gisburn on sunday yesterday i went for a light ride to get the muscles flowing again and i have noticed that my crappy suntours are making a knocking sound , i have checked the headset and there is no play from it.

i took the bike to the LBS for its free 6 week service today and mentioned this to him and he stated this could be water from cleaning the bike with a pressure washer(i have only done this twice!). i think he may be right because when i push down on the forks there is a hissing sound coming from them and what sound like bubbles.

now the guy at LBS said they would need servicing and are not covered into warranty. is it possible to do the work myself? or as they are crap anyway save up for a few weeks and buy a decent set.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Yes and yes
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    ... and don't use a pressure washer, even once... :wink:
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • think im just gonna bin them ,not worth the hassle. anyone want to buy a mountain bike :roll:
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    think im just gonna bin them ,not worth the hassle. anyone want to buy a mountain bike :roll:

Get on google and find a service guide, not that hard to do, get them working while you think about upgrading or selling your bike.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    If they are full of water, just undo the two bolts on the bottom (assuming they are ones without a rebound adjuster, such as the xcrs, not sure about the others in the range) and the lowers will come off. Empty out the water, clean inside, pop a bit of general grease on the seals etc and put the lowers back on and do up the bolts. This should keep them working until you can afford a better set of forks.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Servicing basic suntours is a 15 minute job, dead easy to do, its 2 bolts, pull apart, clean and grease and put back together! Even if you intend to replace them its worth doing, used Suntour XCM's (guessing you have them or similar XCR/XCT's) are worth about £15-20 on ebay!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 1mancity2
    leaflite wrote:
    If they are full of water, just undo the two bolts on the bottom (assuming they are ones without a rebound adjuster, such as the xcrs, not sure about the others in the range) and the lowers will come off. Empty out the water, clean inside, pop a bit of general grease on the seals etc and put the lowers back on and do up the bolts. This should keep them working until you can afford a better set of forks.

From memory his forks are SR SUNTOUR XCM-V3-HLO, 100mm TRAVEL, STEEL
  • From memory his forks are SR SUNTOUR XCM-V3-HLO, 100mm TRAVEL, STEEL

thats a bloody good memory 8) anyhow im not selling ive only had it 8wks lol,
    i just got pissed off with it , i looked around the web for a how to but couldnt find one.
    so i have taken them off :shock: i undone the two bottom bolts = no water coming out?
    so i pulled them off and it was covered in gunk inside, i cleaned them all off added a bit of grease inside and to the stanchions(sp?) and put everything back together.

so iam now pleased to annoucnce im happy again and they are like it was when i bought it, ive re-set the sag with the pre-load and im happy again, for now.

but cheers everyone and thanks for the input. im saving for a nukeproof mega god help me with that! :lol:
  • 1mancity2
    Good lad! now don't power wash the bloody thing!
  • i had the same set of forks on my trek 4500. i had to send mine back as they were faulty. got them back and after about a year tthey had loads of play in them. so saved up for some rockshox recon silvers. it is amazing how much difference it has made!!!! i would never go back to the clunky sr suntours. so i think you have made the right choice in replacing them :)
  • they seem ok after my ride out today and felt confident doing jumps on them and there is no knocking sound anymore. CRC have got some fox forks in the sale for £299 from £799 at the momment i just hope they are that price when i have the money.

ebay is an option but with that there is a risk about second hand ones in regards to servicing etc.
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    iirc the sale fox forks on crc have a 1.5 inch steerer that will not fit most frames
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Well worth the small effort servicing them! You can even cheat and leave the steerer in the bike when doing it if you want to.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 1mancity2
    Merlin cycles have a look at rockshox Reba