Stuck installing Shimano HG40 chain... which is link pin?

map-08
map-08 Posts: 9
edited September 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, my Shimano HG40 chain arrived this morning and I was ready to remove a few links but it says on the instructions "The chain will be damaged if it is cut at a place where it is has been joined with a reinforced connecting pin or end pin."

hg401.jpg

So, I assume I am to remove the link pin as shown on the diagram. BUT, how do I know which is the 'link pin', they all look the same, unlike the diagram.

dsc0372ey.jpg

Any help would be very much appreciated.
Thanks, Mat.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Try reading the instructions again. It says the opposite of what you wrote.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • map-08
    map-08 Posts: 9
    edited September 2011
    Hi thanks for your reply cooldad,

I will edit the post now

Thanks in advance, Mat.
  • cooldad
    Normally it will be slightly dished instead of being lumpy if that makes sense.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • they all look the same, they have a square'ish lump
  • next to each pin some have either of the following written... 2 , NARROW or CN-HG40
  • cooldad
    Straight from the factory it is unlikely to have a connecting pin, you just use one to join it after you have cut it.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • it had a black pin that was attached to the link ready to be pushed in to wherever I cut the chain.

But I do not know where to cut the chain as it says it may damage it if I cut it anywhere other than link pin. All pins look the same, it should have come with a crystal ball.

Thanks again for your help, Mat.
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    You cut it wherever you need to, there isn't fixed points. Then link it back together using the special connecting pin.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • ok thanks I will do that then, does the derailleur need to be aiming square to the ground when at right length?
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    Depends what gear you're in.

I always just hold it up against the old one and hope it hasn't stretched too much... :oops:
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • Ok thanks that sounds like a good idea, been looking on youtube and everyone seems to use different methods. Your method sounds easiest and almost fail safe :)
    Thanks again, Mat.
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    You should buy a SRAM split link and put that on the chain, you can then split and rejoin the chain to your hearts content, they're only a couple quid too so theres no reason not to really.
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    map-08 wrote:
    ok thanks I will do that then, does the derailleur need to be aiming square to the ground when at right length?

Put the chain on Big ring front, Big ring rear without going through the rear mech.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    And add one or two links. As in the FAQ.
  • cooldad
    Around the big/big, leaving out the mech and add 2 links.
    As I pointed out before you have read the instructions wrong - it says you could damage the chain if you cut it on a link pin.
    Not anywhere else.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Thanks for the advice everyone , i just cheated and cut it same size as the old one, not ideal but i needed it on quick. Thanks again, mat.