Moon lights, are they any good?

mudcow007
mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
edited September 2011 in Commuting chat
just bought a X Power 300, seems pretty good.

this will be the first commuting during winter, so I need to be see an to be able to see.

my commute is down a disused railway track in the morning but have to use roads on the way back due to the scallywags that hide on the track of a night

i like the charge indicator thingy (glows blue)
Keeping it classy since '83

Comments

• Looks ok but overpriced , you could have got one of these for £30 and they are a lot brighter ..

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/ssc-p7-3-m ... 8650-50947
    FCN 3/5/9
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    I've had enough of cheap front lights. 3 lights in 3 years, none of which still work properly. The last one, a RSP, started to fail at the end of the season and randomly turn itself off. Not a good feature for a front light!

I'm about to pull the trigger on an AyUp Twin set. Fingers crossed it will be the last set of lights I need for a few years.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Wrath Rob wrote:
    I've had enough of cheap front lights. 3 lights in 3 years, none of which still work properly. The last one, a RSP, started to fail at the end of the season and randomly turn itself off. Not a good feature for a front light!

I'm about to pull the trigger on an AyUp Twin set. Fingers crossed it will be the last set of lights I need for a few years.

+1, have treated myself to a dynamo hub and some very nice, German lights. Not as many lumens, but they actually seem brighter.
  • Wrath Rob wrote:

That is the worst website I've seen in a long time. So bad I gave up with it.
  • +1, have treated myself to a dynamo hub and some very nice, German lights. Not as many lumens, but they actually seem brighter.

I've got a Supernova E3 on my commuter and I've just added a E3 Triple to one of my MTBs. The triple is really bright.

Deal Extreme lights that claim to be 800 or 900 lumens are about 400 in reality.
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    In all honesty, everything fails with time. It's probably unreasonable/unrealistic to expect a £15 light to last much longer than 1 harsh season, but I almost guarantee that a £150 light will not last 10.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    That is the worst website I've seen in a long time. So bad I gave up with it.
    Yes, but you're not buying the website are you? Do a quick Google for them and they consistently come out tops in light tests.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Looks ok but overpriced , you could have got one of these for £30 and they are a lot brighter ..

That light may be brighter, but it's a bag of bits in comparison. The X-Power 300 is a very neat little light - very compact, lightweight and fits on a very simple handlebar mount. I use one for winter commuting on pitch black country roads and it's more than bright enough. Lasts a couple of hours on a bright setting and recharges fairly quickly from a USB cable off your PC - ideal for recharging in work.

Also ideal for walking the dog at night! And at £45 from Merlin I think it's a bargain too.
  • rf6
    rf6 Posts: 323
    dgstewart wrote:
    Looks ok but overpriced , you could have got one of these for £30 and they are a lot brighter ..

That light may be brighter, but it's a bag of bits in comparison. The X-Power 300 is a very neat little light - very compact, lightweight and fits on a very simple handlebar mount. I use one for winter commuting on pitch black country roads and it's more than bright enough. Lasts a couple of hours on a bright setting and recharges fairly quickly from a USB cable off your PC - ideal for recharging in work.

Also ideal for walking the dog at night! And at £45 from Merlin I think it's a bargain too.

+1. I've got one used on a 13 mile commute, most of which is unlit country roads. Nice and bright, can be popped onto flash in lit areas, and as mentioned, easy to charge. I like it.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Wrath Rob wrote:

+1, have treated myself to a dynamo hub and some very nice, German lights. Not as many lumens, but they actually seem brighter.

+1 for dynamos! We are the cognescenti of night-cyclists...
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}