New Commuting Wheels

Torvid
Torvid Posts: 449
edited September 2011 in Commuting chat
So had a bit of a failure of the rear wheel last week and whilst it's nice being on bike No1 for the commute I would like to get some new wheels onto the commuter before the really bad weather sets in.

After doing the rounds of the local bike shops these are the leading contenders,

Miche Mach 1

However I keep getting drawn to a set of racings 7's

Any opinions / recommendations in the same sort of price range?
Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3

Comments

• sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    How much do you weigh?
    Where and how do you ride?
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Torvid
    178cm 168lbs
    comuuter gets about 200-250miles a week as it's the bad weather trainer too it could get up to 300miles.

Only thing that worries me is the current wheels (36spokes) buckled quiet badly after a month of being hammered on the new commute run (13 miles each way) and thats just some poorly kept roads. However they where cheap and nasty and some well built wheels should cope it's not like there getting slammed into every pot hole I see. the easton SL's on my other bike take the run fine and there much lower counts (20/24).
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Get some Mavic Open Pro rims and ask a wheel builder to put them on your current hubs.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    I've gone for CX wheels for my winter bike. Set of Campag Sciroccos. Should keep the water out better and be better with the potholes.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Asprilla wrote:
    Get some Mavic Open Pro rims and ask a wheel builder to put them on your current hubs.
    Or, if you're a moderately practical sort of person, do it yourself; it's not as hard as you might think...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Asprilla wrote:

I would imagine that a decent wheel-builder wouldn't be keen on re-using the spokes from "cheap and nasty" wheels. Also it they're that cheap and nasty, the hubs probably aren't well sealed either.

OP, I would avoid the Mach 1s you linked to, I'm always suspicious of that kind of spoke pattern, it's form over function, IMO. There's no way that spokes in that configuration would be as strong as normal wheels, they just look a bit fancy. I've heard good things about Fulcrum wheels, but nothing, IMO, feels as good as a set of hand-built wheels.
  • TGOTB wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    Or, if you're a moderately practical sort of person, do it yourself; it's not as hard as you might think...

This is absolutely true. If I can, anyone can. I recommend this ebook:

http://www.wheelpro.co.uk/wheelbuilding/book.php

If you fancy trying it.
  • tgotb
    Yep, that's the book I used too :-)
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Torvid
    TGOTB wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

This is absolutely true. If I can, anyone can. I recommend this ebook:

http://www.wheelpro.co.uk/wheelbuilding/book.php

If you fancy trying it.

I did consider this, but the thing that puts me off is how to do the dishing on the rear wheel? Would i need to take it in and get it checked or if i buy the tool would i be okay?

Wouldn't reused the hubs they are pants the whole bike is a very slow upgrade project finally moved it over to 10sp this weekend in anticipation of the new wheels, have the new frame picked out for christmas and a CX bike lined up to take the winter duties off it's hands.
  • tgotb
    Torvid wrote:
    I did consider this, but the thing that puts me off is how to do the dishing on the rear wheel? Would i need to take it in and get it checked or if i buy the tool would i be okay?
    Two separate things to consider:

Truing - this is getting the wheel round and true. Can either use a proper stand, build your own (instructions for a good one in the eBook), or improvise (I have successfully used both a turbo trainer (better for rear wheels, but can be used for either) and an old set of forks (better for front, but again can be used for either).

Dishing - this only applies to the rear wheel, and is all about getting the rim centred in the frame (which means it will be offset relative to the hub). The key here is that it's actually central relative to the wheelnuts, so it's very easy to check. The eBook recommends making a gauge from corrugated cardboard, I made a more robust one one from a few offcuts of timber.

No need to get your wheels checked. If the rim's in the correct place relative to the frame, and the spoke tensions are even (and adequately high) you're sorted..
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Torvid
    Great may well give it a go then, i used the turbo now to check that the wheels are true so i'm fine with that, will have to give the book a read when i get home it's blocked on the works comp, "Hobbies & Recreation" is not allowed, which is a shame as i have teh time to sit and read it here....
  • I built the stand from the eBook using some MDF and some bits I chopped off my daughter's stabilizers, there are gauges to make too, which prove very useful. The dishing tool I made out of hardboard, as cardboard wasn't quite right. If the dishing is a little off, what's the worst that can happen? You just re-adjust your brakes.

Spa cycles will even send you the correct length spokes, if you're using a hub and rim that they stock. Very helpful.

Edit: The book is a £9 download. Worth that and a whole lot more.
  • Torvid
    Great will give it look.

and slowly convince the flatmate she's about to see and increase in bike parts spread round the flat over and on top of the 3 bikes living there.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Mavic Aksium's. I'm about your height and weight (well, slightly heavier) and I've had these on the bike for 2 years. They've been great and only required minor truing each year. Aero spokes look cool too.

On Merlin for £140
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • tgotb
    Couple of other thoughts:
    Sapim and DT Swiss both have online spoke calculators (which tend to agree, +/-1mm)
    For your first set, (and especially as you presumably want them to be bombproof) I'd suggest plain gauge spokes, 32 per wheel. I use DT Swiss spokes, though I'm sure the other reputable makes (eg Sapim) are just as good. Cheap spokes are a false economy.
    Get a decent spoke tool (I have the Park Tools one, though I'm sure there are plenty of other good ones)
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    I built the stand from the eBook using some MDF and some bits I chopped off my daughter's stabilizers, there are gauges to make too, which prove very useful. The dishing tool I made out of hardboard, as cardboard wasn't quite right. If the dishing is a little off, what's the worst that can happen? You just re-adjust your brakes.

Spa cycles will even send you the correct length spokes, if you're using a hub and rim that they stock. Very helpful.

Edit: The book is a £9 download. Worth that and a whole lot more.

Just bought it based on that recommendation. Ta.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Look at PlanetX today. DTSwiss R465's on Suzue hubs for £300 - nice....

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/WBPXDT465SUZUE/dt-rr465-wheelpair-on-suzue-classica-hubs
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • TGOTB wrote:
    Couple of other thoughts:
    Sapim and DT Swiss both have online spoke calculators (which tend to agree, +/-1mm)
    For your first set, (and especially as you presumably want them to be bombproof) I'd suggest plain gauge spokes, 32 per wheel. I use DT Swiss spokes, though I'm sure the other reputable makes (eg Sapim) are just as good. Cheap spokes are a false economy.
    Get a decent spoke tool (I have the Park Tools one, though I'm sure there are plenty of other good ones)

Strangely double-butted spokes are generally stronger than the straight gauge ones, more flexy means they can take more knocks. I use Sapim double-butted everywhere except on the rear drive-side (on the recommendation of Spa), where I use straight gauge, as they're stiffer and allow better power transfer. I love my home-made wheels, and everyone thinks I'm a fettling god.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    Must learn to build wheels. Got to be easier than learning to ride a unicycle, which I still haven't managed. And certainly less painful.
  • Torvid
    Yes it's definitely a skill I would like, now i have to go away and price up how much it's going to cost to build up wheels.

Although the conveniance of build one would get the commuter back on the road now and not later, and the Aksium's are a good price and i have wanted a pair of them for this bike for a while.

I think tonights going to have alot of web searching after I get in from the training ride.
  • Torvid wrote:
    Yes it's definitely a skill I would like, now i have to go away and price up how much it's going to cost to build up wheels.

It's the most useful skill you can learn IMHO. You can build wheels with the components you desire.

The only drag to wheel building IMHO is finding spokes, They're not always easy to come by in the colour, brand, size and strength you want.
  • Torvid
    After a bit of digging around and review reading last night think i'm going to go with the 105 5700 hubs and the mavic open pro rims, any advice on a good place to buy spokes?