Tubeless setup on Crank Brothers Cobalt XC questions

Tjeerd
Tjeerd Posts: 17
edited September 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I just wanted to pick the many brains out here.

I just bought a set of Crank Brothers Cobalt XC wheels.
As they are an UST rim I can run easy a tubeless system with my 2Bliss Specialized tyres.

But I need to run sealant with that setup and Stan's website recommend me to use a molded rim strip with the presta valve in it to prevent any burping of air.

But if I do that I loose the weight benefit, as I run now very lightweight innertubes (less than 90 gramms each). And I run around 32 psi so is there any need for me than to go tubeless?
As I have to spend another £50 for the Stan's tubeless system
And I don't want to buy another 2 UST tyres as they are on normally much heavier than what I run now and my tyres are not available in UST system.

Just wanted to know what you guys think....

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    You don't need the rim strip, put the valves in, chuck in some sealant to your 2Bliss tyres (less than 90g worth), and ride. Costs you £10 for sealant.
  • Yes that was what I thought. But if I watch some of the vids on Notubes.com website it looks like it's better for me to use the strip as the burping of air without it very high.

Or is that only when you run lower psi?
  • Yes that was what I thought. But if I watch some of the vids on Notubes.com website it looks like it's better for me to use the strip as the burping of air without it very high.

Or is that only when you run lower psi?
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    If you run very low pressures you may burp, but I never have.
  • Just got the wheels in from CRC. I am amazed on how easy the setup is. Just put the tyres on, sealant and than for the first time I used the compressor as I couldn't pump it up fast enough and the compressor was at hand anyway. Tyres popped into the rim. JD!
    Riding on the tubeless wheels is amazing. I had already some light wheels on the Camber but these are better and stiffer. These feel just amazingly light!!
    Anybody thinking about going tubeless, don't think about anymore. Just do it! :D