Riding into London from Surrey/Sussex

njee20
njee20 Posts: 9,613
edited September 2011 in Commuting general
Morning all, apologies I couldn't see a 'routes' section, please move if appropriate. I tend to reside in the MTB fora.

About to start a new job spending a significant amount of time in London, and to offset the exorbitant travel costs I'm planning to cycle in a couple of days a week. I live in deepest West Sussex, so it'll likely be a half drive/half cycle commute most of the time. Welcome any route suggestions though...

The obvious places to start are anywhere in the 'arc' from Guildford round to Dorking, need to end up near Monument tube. I've had a few suggestions on routes, but would welcome anyone's thoughts on here. Even better... does anyone has a GPX of a route they use I can try?

Had originally thought of going from Dorking through Epsom, Cheam, and then using the Cycle Superhighway from Merton into the City, but people have said they're a bit mental with all the cyclists. It's been suggested that Guildford/Cobham/Richmond Park and along the river would be better.

Will be on a road bike, happy to add small detours to avoid busy roads, but don't want to add miles and miles unnecessarily. Any thoughts...!?

Comments

• kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Re-post in Commuting Chat and you'll get a lot more replies. More people hang out there than here.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Park near Esher station and go from there.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Epsom -> Morden etc -> City is more direct than Richmond Park. The CSs are busy, but still rideable.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."