What do you commute on?

bails87
bails87 Posts: 12,998
edited September 2011 in Commuting chat
A bike, duh! :lol:

But which type of bike is your favoured commuting steed/tool/weapon/contraption?

I'm sure this will have been done before, but I don't remember seeing it, and a search was pointless
MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."

Comments

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Where does fakenger special fit?
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • bails87
    JonGinge, option number 8, you should be on LFGSS :wink:
    MTB/CX

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    bails87 wrote:

LFGSS for me then, flat barred fixed
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • My fixehhhh does not appear to fit in here..
    Steel Blue Fixed - Orange Backpack Cover

How do i get a link to a photo in here?!

Fixeh
  • bails87
    dhope wrote:
    bails87 wrote:

LFGSS for me then, flat barred fixed

So it's a bike for the road, with flat bars.....? Hmmm.....

:lol:

Can't change the poll options now! I jknew this would happen but there wouldn't be enough space to have a different option for every type of bike with a geared/hub geared/singlespeed/fixed/belt drive drivetrain. Go by frame/wheels/forks/bars and do your drivetrain boasting in the posts :wink:
    MTB/CX

• hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    Jon's already an honorary forumenger. :lol:
    Hat + Beard
  • I mainly commute on......

... my own

Billy Nomates

Mainly an old tourer, sometimes a hub geared expedition / MTB (I've got both suspension and rigid forks for ths). Ocassionally when the weather is nice I might ride my nice road bike which I designed myself - It is a drop handled road bike, but built for comfort over long distances rather than pure speed.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • JonGinge wrote:

+1

Poll fail.
  • JonGinge wrote:
    Where does taking the train fit in?

Edited for truth.
  • bails87
    JonGinge wrote:

+1

Poll fail.
    Fakenger= fixed gear flat bar road bike. And if you don't like it you can do your own poll! :lol:
    MTB/CX

• bails87 wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

+1

Poll fail.
    Fakenger= fixed gear flat bar road bike. And if you don't like it you can do your own poll! :lol:

But I ride a drop bar singlespeed... :P
  • bails87
    bails87 wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

+1

Poll fail.

But I ride a drop bar singlespeed... :P

Which is a road bike.......

Come on chaps, it's not difficult...... :wink:
    MTB/CX

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    JonGinge wrote:

Town bike. Don't pretend shifterless heaps are more special than they actually are :twisted:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    ahem - you missed out "Brompton / other inferior folding bike" you upcountry bumpkin :D ! They are very popular down here in the Metropolis!
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Nope, road bike has gears.

Still a poll fail.*

*I'm working notice so have nothing better to do than split hairs.
  • bails87
    MTB/CX

• bails87
    t4tomo wrote:
    ahem - you missed out "Brompton / other inferior folding bike" you upcountry bumpkin :D ! They are very popular down here in the Metropolis!

Damn, that's actually a valid point (IP, tak note :lol:)

Mods...... :oops:
    MTB/CX

• No option for a utility bike then? (Surly Big Dummy).
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,633
    I too have been forced down the proper road bike route. I actually ride a bullhorn style bar FG. What does a FG have to look like to be a fakenger?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    My bike fits the list. Cyclocross bike, complete with guards, rack and other bits to make it really heavy. It's a Kona Jake and I must do something about the brakes, terrifying in the rain this morning.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    LFGSS style bikes go on a list, not a poll, surely?

1. dhope
    2. HatBetweenForums
    3. FakenJonGinge
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • How about a folding full size (26 inch wheel) "mountain" bike with front suspension.... on slicks.....

It goes on the train every commute. Even get told by busy bodies that only folders are allowed... and I have to show them the bloody great hinge in the middle!
    shame the rider doesn't match the bike...
  • .. and would love to commute on my road bike... but moved far far away... hence the train...
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    bigbelly wrote:
    How about a folding full size (26 inch wheel) "mountain" bike with front suspension.... on slicks.....

It goes on the train every commute. Even get told by busy bodies that only folders are allowed... and I have to show them the bloody great hinge in the middle!

Hmmm, I wonder if I can make a fake hinge to attach to my Planet X so I can take it on trains.
  • t4tomo
    The pointing out the hinge is to get past the ticket inspector on the barriers, you actually have to fold the thing to get on the train due to:

a) lack of space
    b) lots of tutting and comments if you don't.

I imagine bigbelly sometime has problems with his full sized folder on crowded trains as they still take up a fair chunk of room even when folded, when your trying to get on to a soon departing train with standing room only.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Brompton S Type
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
  • I see what you are saying, but I am lucky I get the 6:52 i the morning towards London, and usually the 18:22 away from London so not crowded really. Takes up the same amount of space as one of those large stand up suitcases. To be honest, I have not yet had a negative comment from other passengers. (But then again, I won't know what they are thinking). Only positive enquiries as to what make the bike is.

I tried commuting on my wife's brompton... mushy brakes, whole bike ends up inside London potholes. Kind of a up and down pendulum effect when I pedal. Not very satisfactory at all. Fits on a train brilliantly though. Full size mountain bike much better set of compromises.

The idea about a "hinge" on the carbon roadbike is a good one!
  • t4tomo
    you're trains are obviously less crowded than mine, I sometimes here tuts when I gte on with a folded brompton in a crowdd doorway.

I find the brommie fine to ride, but i do remember speccing the upgraded brakes when I bought it, plus at a wild guess from your user name I maybe smaller / lighter than you (apologies if your name is ironic and your actually only 10 stone). I also have the S (flat) bars which give a way better feel that the traditional M type bars which IMHO flex a bit much to give you much confidence in its handling.

It also depends a bit on your commute, if its longer or non-street terrain then the convenience vs rideability starts to tip towards the full size folders like yours.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Brompton S Type
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
  • Ha ha.. no offence at all. I'm 5 foot 7, used to be 83 KG (13 stone I think). Am now 78 kg (12 and a bit stone). Though in my native Hong Kong I will always be the "fat boy"... they are all skinny as sticks over there...

My Brompton indeed just has the basic caliper no-brand brakes. Am sorely tempted to upgrade to the Brompton dual pivots just to make the bike go and stop. But will do pad change first as I have already overhauled the brakes themselves.

I go from Kings Cross to Canary Wharf. So street riding to tower hill, then CS3 blue route. Lots of off and on ramps and potholes everywhere.

Worst of all.. Brompton looked rediculous next to some gits Ferrari California and Panemera S in the car / bike park.

Am I jealous... of course I am! :lol:
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Angels Back - of course.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    bails87 wrote:

bikeist
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14