Inner tube blow out, bent rim

MikeB1986
MikeB1986 Posts: 12
edited September 2011 in MTB general
Can a blown out inner tube bend a rim? or did a bent rim blow my inner tube?

Pumped my tyres up at my mates house the other day (he's got a pump with a gauge I haven't) to 40psi, they were at around 25. Left it in his shed for ten mins, came back out and one tube had blown up with about a 6 inch tear on it and a big hole missing. It popped the tyre (one with wire beading) off the rim, and knocked the bike over.
Put a new tube on and noticed my wheel is bent well out of true. Never noticed it before but I'm sure I could feel it sort of wobbling on the way home. Looking at it this morning the wheel is bent visibly without spinning it.
I've not hit anything hard on it, dont do jumps just ride it round farm tracks and trails in the woods. I dont know how I could have bent a rim that bad and not noticed it, but I cant imagine an inner tube could blow hard enough on its own to do that much damage.

Either way its off back to halfords and I'll kick up a fuss till I get it sorted

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Bent rim = blown tube. Can't see how it would work the other way.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Assuming its the voodoo hoodoo you mention in your previous posts, thats an unbranded rim according to the halfords website. Not too surprising that it dinged easily. Also if it was built up by a halfords monkey the odds are spoke tension is a completely foreign concept to them.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    It won't be a handbuilt wheel at all, so you can't blame Halfords.

If the tyre's blown off the rim it will put it out of true. Most likely a loose tyre, as you've put more air in than usual it's popped over the side of the rim and the tube's burst through the resulting gap. A buckled wheel won't blow a tube.

Should be able to true it, check the bead on the tyre, it's often damaged after that, and check carefully when you inflate the new one that the tyre's not creeping off the rim.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Halfords are hardly going to build wheels for the bikes they sell.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    njee20 wrote:
    Most likely a loose tyre, as you've put more air in than usual it's popped over the side of the rim and the tube's burst through the resulting gap.
    This. Was pumping up a tyre in my mates garage a few months back and the tyre wasn't seated properly. Unfortunately I was looking the other way during the start of pumping instead of checking it. Noticed it start to bulge but by then it was too late.

The resulting bang scared my mate half to death... :lol:
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • So the tire popped off the rim, trapped the tube and ripped it apart, and the force of that bent the rim and knocked the bike over? I'm glad I went in for 10 minutes instead of riding straight home. The tire looks OK, I put a new tube on and 40psi before I went home last night and it was ok this morning at least

I'll try kicking off at halfords anyway, once potential customers start overhearing they'll cave like any other company

failing that, I've trued a rim before reasonably well, but how do you tell your getting it better without v brakes? just a mk1 eyeball?
  • cooldad
    MikeB1986 wrote:
    I'll try kicking off at halfords anyway, once potential customers start overhearing they'll cave like any other company

The word that springs to mind is d1ck.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • HAHAHA. I gotta love everyones attitude when they just want to kick off and get stuff free. Love it!
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    PaulBox wrote:
    njee20 wrote:
    Most likely a loose tyre, as you've put more air in than usual it's popped over the side of the rim and the tube's burst through the resulting gap.
    This. Was pumping up a tyre in my mates garage a few months back and the tyre wasn't seated properly. Unfortunately I was looking the other way during the start of pumping instead of checking it. Noticed it start to bulge but by then it was too late.

The resulting bang scared my mate half to death... :lol:

This exact same thing happened to me aswell although it never bent my rim or damaged anything else at all other than the tube, the wheel and tire were both fine.
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    i had this happen to me on my shhhhhhhhhh scott roadbike,

i have 120 psi in my road tyres (23 700c) the bike had been chain up to the fencce inside the warehouse at work all night i came to get on it in the morning and notice the tyre was off the rim upon inspection the tube had a huge 6-8 inch hole in it and the tyre had been blown off the rim.. bike was locked to the rail so had not fallen over. and the rim was fine and true.....
    i have no idea what caused it as i had rode the bike 6 miles to work, it just litteraly went bang....
  • HAHAHA. I gotta love everyones attitude when they just want to kick off and get stuff free. Love it!
    cooldad wrote:

I used to agree with you, till I realised how many people are getting stuff for free that I'm not. Might as well jump on the bandwagon and get what I can off it

The fact is Halfords can afford it. It would cost them nothing to true my wheel for me and it would keep me happy and more likely to return or recommend them.
  • Yeah, but your taking action just to get yourself something free, which in my opinion is just downright low. If everybody jumped off a bridge onto a motorway, would you follow as well.
  • cooldad
    MikeB1986 wrote:
    HAHAHA. I gotta love everyones attitude when they just want to kick off and get stuff free. Love it!
    cooldad wrote:

I used to agree with you, till I realised how many people are getting stuff for free that I'm not. Might as well jump on the bandwagon and get what I can off it

The fact is Halfords can afford it. It would cost them nothing to true my wheel for me and it would keep me happy and more likely to return or recommend them.
    I rest my case.
    Bet you're looking forward to the next looting spree. Everybody's doing it.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Not in my town, there's hardly any shops worth looting. By the time I got the train to Hull it'd all be gone. Shame because it looks to be even more fun than making irrelevant peronsal remarks to people I've never met

More importantly I used a cable tie round the frame close to the wheel with some masking tape to mark where the good part of wheel sits, and tried to line the whole rim up to that . Im surprised how far it had bent from a tube blowing. I'm sure there's better ways but I managed to get it something like. I cant feel it wobbling when I ride any more at least.
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    MikeB1986 wrote:
    Not in my town, there's hardly any shops worth looting. By the time I got the train to Hull it'd all be gone. Shame because it looks to be even more fun than making irrelevant peronsal remarks to people I've never met
    There won't be a Halfords much longer if everybody has the same attitude as you... :roll:

Hope that is relevant.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • Your rim would not have been bent just by the friggin tube blowing out. I've had tubes blow out on road bikes, whcih have much higher pressures than MTB tires, and it was fine. You probably bent the rim somehow before, and then didn't seat the tire right, whcih blew. No way did it bend your rim.