Parking at Wembley

CiB
CiB Posts: 6,098
edited September 2011 in Commuting chat
Advice time chaps pls, from the Londonists amongst you.

We're off to Wembley tonight for the Wales match. What's the best advice re parking at or near the stadium? Last time I drove to the place was just before the 1990 WC for a friendly v Uruguay, when it was easy - a fiver disappeared into some youth's back pocket and we were in the main car park.Numerous play-off & League Cup finals since then have all involved minibus or trains so I'm out of touch. Will be rolling down the M1 onto the Norf Circular, if that helps. Would prefer not to walk too far due to having a 9-y-o in tow; the teenager can manage whatever we throw at him tbh.

Ta.

Comments

• If you are coming from Wales I'd suggest travel by bus and parking in front of the goal :wink:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • HamishD
    HamishD Posts: 538
    Parking tends to be suspended anywhere near the stadium . . . not sure about car parks.

What I would do is park up at Stanmore and then get the tube to Wembley Park. You then get to walk down Wembley way to the stadium which used to be quite an experience . . .
  • CiB
    HamishD wrote:
    Parking tends to be suspended anywhere near the stadium . . . not sure about car parks.

What I would do is park up at Stanmore and then get the tube to Wembley Park. You then get to walk down Wembley way to the stadium which used to be quite an experience . . .
    Good one - I'd forgotten that, did it for the Palace & Derby play-offs, but managed to squeeze in a gallon of beer beforehand then. Ta for the nudge, but on balance would prefer to drive up, enjoy the slaughter and drive home again. It's not helped by them being back at school tomorrow (boys, not England).
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    http://www.parkatmyhouse.com/uk/parking/wembley/
    slightly more formalised version of give someone a tenner to park on their drive. You need to book in advance though so get on with it. Normally a quicker getaway than queueing out of the main carparks.

Failing that park at Stanmore and get the tube down.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I went to Wembley for a gig a couple of years back, drove to Ickenham, parked in a residential street a few minutes walk away from the station, then got the train straight to Wembly. Could do something like that?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    The Green Man, on top of Wembley Hill has car parking.

Usually quiet enough to get a drink (and food from the barbecue), yet busy enough to have a decent atmosphere. Nice views over the stadium from the beer garden too!

Their website is: http://www.thegreenmanhotelatwembley.co.uk
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    A lot of the businesses open their office car parks to football fans. expect to pay around £10-£15. Just drive around the stadium looking out for parking signs.

There is no protection so leave your car at your own risk. My mate did it once and the car was fine but took him over an hour just to get out of the Wembley area and for the traffic to ease off.

I'd recommend getting there early to find a parking spot and expect there to be very heavy traffic when trying to leave.
  • Not likely to be much use to the OP with a 9 year old in tow but have people ever considered parking a few miles away and then hopping on the bike? I appreciate you'd probably have to push the bike for a while as you leave the stadium due to weight of crowds, but I'm sure it would be quicker than fighting you way out of nearby carparks.

Does Wembley and other stadia even have bike parking?
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • CiB
    Bicycle parking is available on street level (B2) in the north east corner of the Stadium (near the Green car park).
    I did mention cycling in as a joke but Boy Elder took it seriously, and started to point out that doing 50+ miles to get there is a bit far and when would we get home... Bless. :)
  • I went on boxing day to rugby.
    Spent an hour trying to find parking.
    Parked about 2 miles away
    Got a £60 ticket for my troubles - residential area, apparently.

Right pain in the bahookey. Didn't help that there was a tube strike that day
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • I normally come off at Junction 4 and park in this street next to Stanmore station.

Wembley Park station is 4 stops away on the Jubilee Line

http://goo.gl/W7Ctn
  • For tonight you can park anywhere around Stanmore station, there's usually plenty of parking within 10-15min walk of station, but suggest not in the private road to the north of the station. Pangbourne Drive, Dalkeith Ave & Jesmond Way will have spaces...
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry: