Am I being duped?

commiepinko
commiepinko Posts: 9
edited September 2011 in The workshop
I have had a Specialized Sirrus Comp for 7 years and only recently had problems with getting the front mech to drop the chain down onto the smallest ring. Having taken it to both a LBS and Hargroves Cycles they both are saying that the mech is hitting the frame and I need a new larger bottom bracket and new front mech. Having not had any work done on either I find it impossible to believe Specialized put on the wrong sized bracket and mech, especially as I've had no problems for 6 1/2 years.

Any comments or suggestions on how to deal with said problem?

Comments

• davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Errm... Huh?

That sounds dubious to me, although it's odd both places have given you the same advice. Basically, if they bike was fine for 6 years, it wasn't the wrong size bottom bracket -- I don't think you get too much choice with road BBs anyway!.

What maintenance have you tried yourself? You've done the limit screws and the cables, right?
    Grab the cage of the front mech, and try to wobble it; it shouldn't really "twist" much (they all do a bit though), and it should move cleanly in and out. Is the mech properly aligned with the chainline?

{edit}: forgot "limit screws". D'oh.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    Cable stretch?
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • Sounds like it may well have stiffened up / seized. Have you left it sat on the big chainring for any length of time recently??

I'd try squirting plenty of GT85 over the pivots etc and allow to soak for a while, and also ensure the cable is free to run smoothly. You can also check the return spring as that should force the mech onto the small ring with no cable tension applied
  • Thanks for all your suggestions. The front mech does actually hit the frame, but not sure why that is stopping the mech taking it to the small ring. Would a new front mech be helpful in solving the problem and if so any suggestions on a 9 speed triple mech?
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    What Hargroves store was that?
    FCN 2 to 8
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    That sounds really, really odd. Can you give us a photo?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • my guess would be that the clamp may be loose and slipped under the cables tension are there scratched near the clamp?

and as above pics needed
    2 Broken fingers broken again... F@$%^£g hell that hurt!!!

92% of teenagers have turned to rap. If your one of the 8% that still listens to real music put this in your sig.
    METAL!!!!!