Spectating at Tour of Britain - Updated with pics!

Comments

• rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    With 50mph winds no way they will race... right?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    Never seen a pro bike race called off because of wind.
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    I'm off to the Blackpool finish area shortly - can't wait.

The wind is going to tear the race apart today.
  • innrg saying on twitter stage 2 is cancelled!!
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    rbarcan wrote:
    Anyone else planning 3 viewings. I was hoping to catch them ascending Cheddar Gorge, then Old Bristol Road and then at the finish in Wells.

Is this feasible (in therms of closed roads - I know I can ride it!

Similar to my question earlier - and I've just seen this on ToB site:

http://www.tourofbritain.com/_ns_news/?news_id=201

I think I'll try it too - getting to the climbs should be ok, guess I can live with it if I can't get close to the finish in time.
  • Pross
    Had a nose at the way they are going up Caerphilly Mountain this morning. Signs say max 17% just as you come out of the residential area (well they actually say 1.7% but I think they may have been tampered with lol) goes to 12% at the top. Both look pretty accurate. Just got to decide whether to watch them from Storey Arms which will allow me to warch them coming for about a mile or watch them go up the slope just after turning off to Penderyn which is steeper before shooting down to Caerphilly.
  • prb007
    prb007 Posts: 703
    What time are they anticipated to be at Storey Arms?
    Might take a spin up from Neath, if weather is half decent :lol:
    If Wales was flattened out, it'd be bigger than England!
    Planet X Ti Sportive for Sportives & tours
    Orange Alpine 160 for Afan,Alps & dodging trees
    Singlespeed Planet X Kaffenback for dodging potholes
    An On-One Inbred for hard-tail shenanigans...
  • Pross wrote:
    Had a nose at the way they are going up Caerphilly Mountain this morning. Signs say max 17% just as you come out of the residential area (well they actually say 1.7% but I think they may have been tampered with lol) goes to 12% at the top. Both look pretty accurate. Just got to decide whether to watch them from Storey Arms which will allow me to warch them coming for about a mile or watch them go up the slope just after turning off to Penderyn which is steeper before shooting down to Caerphilly.

Wellallthe years I livd there the sign used to be 1:7 not 17% and that was just by the layby. Whilst it is a fairlystiffclimb for us mortals I wouldnot expect it should pose trouble for the pros unless some one makes a dash for it :D Big Maggy used to go up this side on 53 x 13 for strength work!!
    I will ride up and watch in the layby and take pics then ride down to the finish so may see you Pross.
    Although they descend the other side, about 14% also, it is extremely fast as it is new road and straight , I expect they will hit 60mph there easily.
    It will be fast from the top of mountain to the finishby the castle.
    From St.MArtins farm it must be about a kilo to go,pan flat and with tail wind, then sharp turn into crescent road, could be fun if a bunch finish .
    I think it may be a bunch of about 20 if they climb mountain at pace. Be good to see if Cav gives this stage a go or just go for easier stages, depends on his training requirements I guess.
  • prb007
    prb007 Posts: 703
    Ok; I'll just answer my own question;
    10.15 start in Newtown,
    25mph avg spd
    Google maps says 51 miles to Brecon,
    so that'll be me at Storey Arms at/before 12.30 then :oops:

forecast looking ropey;

'Rather a cloudy morning with a band of showers moving south during the late afternoon. A few brighter spells may develop at times. Remaining windy.
    Visibility
    Generally very good at lower levels but often very poor over the higher hills in persistent hill fog above 700m.'
    If Wales was flattened out, it'd be bigger than England!
    Planet X Ti Sportive for Sportives & tours
    Orange Alpine 160 for Afan,Alps & dodging trees
    Singlespeed Planet X Kaffenback for dodging potholes
    An On-One Inbred for hard-tail shenanigans...
  • Pross
    Can't be any wetter than on Black Mountain last year. I poured water out of my shoes before getting in the car and they took 3 days to dry out! Might try to ride from the mountain to the finish.
  • I thought getting out the tennis racket or the cricket bat was the fastest way to guarantee rain in this country, has cycle racing joined this club too now that it is popular?
  • Can anyone recommend a good place to eat in Caerphilly wed lunchtime? If possible something healthy + a decent beer?
    Ta,
    All my life I've wanted to be someone; I guess I should have been more specific.
  • What time are they anticipated to be at Storey Arms?

The race manual has the following times:

38kmph - 13:48
    42kmph - 13:30
    46kmph: 13:12
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    edited September 2011
    jackfeeder wrote:
    Can anyone recommend a good place to eat in Caerphilly wed lunchtime? If possible something healthy + a decent beer?
    Ta,
    Italian resteraunt just off the piccadily, link below,you can ride through the town then up to the mountain or watch them go through town by the castle and walk over to watch the finish other side of castle.
    Couple of cafes in the new shopping centre also, depends what you want.
    ps the onwer is a ringer for John Hartson :D dont ask for his autograph he gets mistaken often :D tell him I reccomended it and I might get a spicy pasta and beer free :D
    http://www.bellacapri.co.uk/contactus.html
  • Cheers, what's it called? Is it near the train station?
    Just started reading Big John's book, good lad Mr.Hartson.
    No bike for me on wed, getting the train and gonna walk up the mtn to watch the final selection, should be good.
    All my life I've wanted to be someone; I guess I should have been more specific.
  • jackfeeder wrote:
    Cheers, what's it called? Is it near the train station?
    Just started reading Big John's book, good lad Mr.Hartson.
    No bike for me on wed, getting the train and gonna walk up the mtn to watch the final selection, should be good.
    Just posted link in last post lol.
    It is about 3/4 mile north of the town.
    The race will actually be passing within 10m of the resteraunt and the finish is opposite about 400m away.
    Shame you wont have bike as you could watch the climb abnd the finish as you would have time to ride back down to the finish to see it.
    I fancy Thomas to take this stage !!
  • Made my decision and went to the start of the race at Trentham Gardens and then on to see the finish. Managed to meet Cav and get my 'Boy Racer' book signed and get some pics. Good day out.

DSC01181.jpg
    DSC01182.jpg
    DSC01190.jpg
    DSC01184.jpg
    IMAG0216.jpg
    IMAG0219.jpg[/img]
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    Great close up pics!!

Cav seems the most approachable cyclist, or maybe we're all just focused on him because of his achievements?!
  • Hello,

I managed a bit of stalking last Saturday...was especially chuffed to meet Mr. Voight. These two had contrasting fortunes the next day...ouch!

b3b1caa5.jpg

451d3bc0.jpg

And a few from stage one. Weather was a bit grim to say the least!

26b738cf.jpg

e13e4075.jpg

be3d7f08.jpg

ec2935ad.jpg

6c8d7a38.jpg

10dceae7.jpg

7aa71293.jpg

a80424da.jpg

23a6a582.jpg

Great to see these guys race, even if the next day wasn't so good.

Cheers,

Simon.
  • I'm planning to watch the race tomorrow and was wondering which of Cheddar Gorge or Old Bristol Hill will be the better place to watch.
  • Thanks, that would be great to see both but I will probably with 'er indoors so won't be cycling.
  • Was planning to see it saturday, have been for ages and was looking forward to it, only to discover I've an OU tutorial I really need to attend on saturday morning as it's for exam prep. Was convinced it was the week after. Utter ar$ebiscuits :x
  • Erudin
    Erudin Posts: 136
    edited September 2011
    Watched them go by on Dartmoor today.

Breakaway leader Jon-Tiernan Locke after the 3 KOM climbs:

img0439pw.jpg

img0440vz.jpg

Main Peloton Vid:

http://youtu.be/xrlsxwSxtnM
  • well i went to Blackpool,it was windy,no racing but blonde witch on Draught in the Weatherspoons,
  • well i went to Blackpool,it was windy,no racing but blonde witch on Draught in the Weatherspoons,
  • I'm planning to watch the race tomorrow and was wondering which of Cheddar Gorge or Old Bristol Hill will be the better place to watch.

watch it on cheddar on horseshoe bend and then a quick one over the top to old bristol hill just before the top by the bend, you could then drop down the hill into wells for the finish
  • ...anyone know who the commentator in the Yeti prior to the Peleton is? He is interviewing Thor in the pics above?
  • How not to watch a bike race, or, specifically, how to fail to watch a bike race:

http://zoom-gordo.blogspot.com/2011/09/ ... e-now.html
    Gordo's World of Zoom http://zoom-gordo.blogspot.com/
    Those that can, do. Those that can't write about it.
  • zoom gordo wrote:
    How not to watch a bike race, or, specifically, how to fail to watch a bike race:

http://zoom-gordo.blogspot.com/2011/09/ ... e-now.html

Top day out!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format