insurance?

castlelad
castlelad Posts: 414
edited September 2011 in MTB general
just had my new bike and i want to insure this time, now i know its probably been asked time and time again.....better to get cover from a bike insurer, i e cycleguard etc etc or just stick it on me house cover......oh by the way i went forthe salvo full bouncer......i like it !!

Comments

• Tim.s
    Tim.s Posts: 515
    Ive been with cycleguard for a few years. Never needed to claim so cant comment on that side of things.
    "Didn't hurt"
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Depends a bit on the bike and what other insurance you have. If you just want to cover theft and not insanely expensive, and you have house insurance, see what the insurance will cover for items away from home. At home it should cover the bike anyway but you may need to specify the bike or check what cover it includes. Away from home see what the single item limit is. You can usually bump it up a bit to cover it, but if it's quite expensive it may be better with a dedicated insurance.

On the other hand if you want to attempt to cover potential crashes then you're looking at dedicated (and expensive) insurance.

Oh, and don't forget to consider your own insurance in case of accidents, especially if you work and may need to cover time off work. Something I'm considering.

And then... there's travel insurance! Cheapo insurance will almost certainly exclude the bike if it's over £500 for an individual item. House insurance won't cover abroad & travel insurance is limited cover in the UK. Medical insurance is essential though abroad and watch out what they exclude in MTB.
  • I have gone with ETA (www.ilovemybike.co.uk) they were cheaper than putting my bike on my home insurance.

It includes accidental damage (including while racing) and they give you £250 worth of bike hire per year while you are waiting for your bike to be repaired/replaced. They will also refund the cost of a taxi to get you home if your bike breaks out on the trails, or pick you up in one of their vans (not sure how many they have though!) Excess is 5% of the claim

My bike frame cracked a a couple of weeks ago, so im going through the process at the moment, its been 2 weeks and not much word but to be fair I emailed Commencal and they said they didnt have the part in stock so I dont think the insurance company is slowing things down at all.

So far they seem pretty good to deal with, quick at answering the phone and its a 0800 number too.