Traffic Islands and Keep Left Signs

kurako
kurako Posts: 1,098
edited September 2011 in Commuting chat
So I wrote to Met Police Roadsafe to ask about the epidemic of mopeds (some bikes too) whizzing past traffic islands on the wrong side of the road. It's particularly bad near me on Trinity Road near Wandsworth Common. I was always under the impression that passing a traffic island on the right was an offence. I think it still is but according to this response it seems the Traffic division is powerless to enforce the rules as this is now in the hands of local councils. I must say I'm pretty stunned. My council (Wandsworth) seems to care only about fining cars committing the heinous crime of parking on the wrong street at the wrong time.
Thank you for your email dated the 2nd September 2011.

In 2009, contravening certain moving traffic offences (ie keep left on a traffic island) became the responsibility of the Local Authrority to enforce. As a result, police in these circumstances do not have any powers to intervene.

Where officers witness offences in boroughs where the Local Authority are enforcing, (ie Wandsworth) drivers may be stopped and words of advice given, however, no formal warning may be given or reporting action taken.

Regards

ROADSAFE LONDON

Comments

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Thats interesting, how exactly would a local authority actually enforce this?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Result.
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    Councils may in the past have used fines as means to keep the road network moving along, but I don't think this is the case any more. Revenue is the driving force, which is why you'll see CCTV cars filming number plates rather than the money being spent on patrolling high-crime areas. The same with high-street CCTV cameras being used to fine delivery drivers, but not to provide footage of crimes.

No chance on your moped issue unless there is money to be made.

I now sound I read the D.M :(
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Hold on just one cotton picking minute, the police cannot enforce the law saying that you must pass to the left of a keep left sign?! WTF!?!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Hold on just one cotton picking minute, the police cannot enforce the law saying that you must pass to the left of a keep left sign?! WTF!?!

That's what the man said. Nuts isn't it?

I suppose the council could have some sort of video imaging/ number plate recognition to issue fines but I doubt there's as much money in it as parking permits so they'd probably bother. It'll probably take someone getting run over before anything is done.

Another idea is to give the parking enforcement guys powers to stop people and issue fines. That'd at least have comedy value as they pootle off in hot pursuit of some malcontents...
  • It would be more than his job was worth to get involved.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Crazy!

As has been said, councils seem to be primarily about making money from motorists rather than public safety or keeping traffic flowing. It seems they are happy for motorists to break the law and then fine people for it.
    I guess until a moped rider loses in a head on game of chicken with a car, this will continue.

I heard that a few years ago, there was a cock-up with the St. Albans' council WRT parking enforcement which meant that there was a ~three week window where there was no parking enforcement in the town centre. People realised they could park wherever they wanted and did so but some people were stupid and parked in a way which blocked the road. If they did this, the police came along, picked up the offending car and empounded it, thus releaving the blockage.
    Brilliant idea IMHO. "You can park where you want, but if you park like a dick, we'll empound you car."
    When the parking enforcement cock up was over, normal service was resumed and people were forced to do battle with traffic wardens. Apparently the locals prefered it when the police just carried cars away.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Where decriminalized enforcement is intrduced, parking acertain road tyraffic offences are no longer criminal offences but civil 'contraventions', and no the Police can not take any action at all. However I'm not sure if passing to the wrong side of a keep 'X' arrow is decrim or not, however driving without due care and attention could still be used and that IS a criminal offence. Be aware that the switchboards for many police areas have a habit of claiming things are civil matters as if it's not a crime (or at least they convince you it's not a crime and don't log it as such) it makes the stats look better!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    I got a similar response to mandatory cycle lanes, apparently not the police's job to enforce them it's the local councils parking department. ASLs on the other hand are!

Failing to keep left used to be 3 penalty points guess it's not any more then!

This may not be a bad thing though, police as per the other thread are unlikely to take much action due to priorities, local council's on the other might have different priorities.

I guess the CS8 mandatory cycle lanes are Wandsworth or would they be Westminster? Maybe we should start sending e-mails....
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5