seat post length???

Mawby1710
Mawby1710 Posts: 22
edited September 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey guys I use my Felt Compulsion for all sorts of riding from xc to DH. Rode at Aston Hill DH over the weekend and lowered my seat as low as I could before kink in the frame stopped seat tube.

My question is, how much of the seat post would you need clamed in for it to be sturdy on xc rides?? wanna measure up and trim some of the post but dont want it effecting the feel.

cheers thanks

Comments

• 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    I've cut mine down so 100mm is inside my seattube when set to riding height and never had a problem.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • Si1988
    Si1988 Posts: 158
    I make sure that when fully up in seated riding position, that the bottom of the post goes at least an inch past the lower weld of the top tube/seat tube junction.

Looking at the compulsion though, it does have quite a dropped top tube so this might not be acheivable, thankfully it does have a pretty healthy seat tube gusset so it should remain fairly sturdy if slightly less is required. I'd certainly try to leave at least two inches in the frame at a bare minimum though.
  • cheers thanks guys...will measure up and see if I can cut down to leave 100mm in seat tube.

thanks
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Depends on the frame and seat post. Have at look at manuals for both and use the one that is biggest.

usually seat post manufacturers recommend about 100mm of post still in the seat tube but can vary so best to double check.