Bee Mesh helmets

DoctorDee
DoctorDee Posts: 10
edited September 2011 in MTB general
OK, after 20 years of sting free riding (most of which was done lid-less, I know, I was young and foolish, then middle aged and foolish) I have in the last fortnight been stung twice by bees (or perhaps wasps) trapped in my helmet.

Turns out that I am mildly allergic, and I swell up like a pumpkin head.

The problem will abate in the winter months, for sure, but before next summer I wish to invest in an helmet with "bee mesh".

Things, although such helmets exist, few shops list this feature in their sales blurb. Few manufacturers shout about it on their websites. And I'm struggling to find a suitable helmet. I've found a couple of decent looking road helmets, but no off-road ones.

Can anyone recommend an MTB helmet with "bee mesh"?

Cheers
--
DrDee
--
DoctorDee

Comments

• As an alternative, wear a buff (or similar) under the helmet you already have? I find they make things more comfy and help with sweat too. Can't definitely speak for their bee-defeating properties, admittedly.
  • This has been quite a problem for me as well, and best bet is to just go to a few shops and look at helmets in person, and if you really are skimpy with dosh then go back and order it offline.
  • This has been quite a problem for me as well, and best bet is to just go to a few shops and look at helmets in person, and if you really are skimpy with dosh then go back and order it offline.
  • Or whilst you're in the shop you can ask them if they'll price match an online retailer. That way you can take the helmet away there and then
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Lidl are currently selling them for a tenner!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • mkf
    mkf Posts: 242
    i did a blue peter job on my lid with a piece of net curtain cost me 20 minutes
  • hair net over the helmet ?
  • Mate has used Met helmets for years. Noticed last week that they have a mesh in all of the air vents.
    All of previous helmets had them too - he just assumed that it was standard for all MTB helmets.
    Worth giving them a look.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • bamba
    bamba Posts: 856
    Pair of tights over your head ? could get some strange looks if you go for a full face option mind.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Mate has used Met helmets for years. Noticed last week that they have a mesh in all of the air vents.
    All of previous helmets had them too - he just assumed that it was standard for all MTB helmets.
    Worth giving them a look.

I've got a Met Veleno, no mesh.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • mkf wrote:
    i did a blue peter job on my lid with a piece of net curtain cost me 20 minutes

I did a net curtain once, she was a right goer...
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Mate has used Met helmets for years. Noticed last week that they have a mesh in all of the air vents.
    I'd heard Met had Mesh in all theirs. But the Veleno, Estro, Inferno and Crossover all appear NOT to have. Xilo has, but it's a "yoofs" model. In fact it seems that only their kids and road models have.
    --
    DoctorDee
  • and if you really are skimpy with dosh then go back and order it offline.
    I'm not that skimpy with dosh, but I am with time. No good, big retailers nearby. And don't fancy a traipse round several local towns, especially if it turns out to be fruitless.
    --
    DoctorDee
  • Maybe find some other things you "need", and justify the trip. There's always something that catches the eye in the bike shop that has you leaving happy :)
  • Just bought new Wheels, Lights, Pedals, Stem, Bars, Grips, Seat Post.
    I was about as happy as I could get until the bee sting! ;-)

Turns out Abus does a Helmet (Arduro) with Bug Mesh, and with an integrated LED in the adjustment wheel. sounds like it's worth a look. Might stop me getting hit by bees from the front, and cars from the rear hopefully.

It's cheap too!

Several Uvex ones appear to have bug mesh too. But no LED. I'm a sucker for LEDs!

The secret was to Google for "bug mesh" not "bee mesh". Bloody Americans.
    --
    DoctorDee
  • kenan
    kenan Posts: 952
    DoctorDee wrote:
    Turns out Abus does a Helmet (Arduro) with Bug Mesh, and with an integrated LED in the adjustment wheel.

I just got my 2 year old daughter, one of these and she thinks the ligh is great.
  • kenan wrote:
    DoctorDee wrote:
    Turns out Abus does a Helmet (Arduro) with Bug Mesh, and with an integrated LED in the adjustment wheel.

I just got my 2 year old daughter, one of these and she thinks the ligh is great.

HAHAHAHAH
  • I bought some gutter mesh from poundland (the stuff for keeping leaves out of rain gutters) and cut it to shape for the vents and with a couple of dobs of the hot glue gun on each piece it has kept the bugs out of my ever receeding hair for the whole summer

Cheers
    Paul
  • kenan wrote:
    Can there be a finer recommendation? If the kids think it's cool, I'm having one.
    --
    DoctorDee