Should I Report to Police?

jopari
jopari Posts: 84
edited September 2011 in Commuting general
Had a close pass while bimbling up to a red light today. No reall harm, I had to put my hand out to fend the car away. I looked back and had a bit of a 'discussion' with the driver.
When lights go green he then turns left infront of me without indicating. I follow him left and he pulls up, winds the window down and starts giving me abuse (while holding his walking stick with other hand, interestingly).
I then move off ahead and he accelerates hard behind me, scaring me somewhat, then pulls into his place of work (council building).
I can't prove he was driving at me, but it scared me.

Now I'm doubting whether to report, as I did get wound up, and am running through it in my head in case I made the situation worth be shouting incredulously at him (I did no swearing, and was not abusive).

Why didn't I put my helmet cam on this morning??? Idiot.

So, should I report, and if so, how? Police station in person?
Cannondale R800 - Dry
Kona Honky Tonk - Wet
'96 GT Outpost - Kids on back
Genesis Core 120 - Mud
Raleigh Pro Race - Shop

Comments

• Personally I'd go into the station and report, this kind of behaviour simply can't be justified.

I'd also write to his employer, quote the reg number etc.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Yeah, I'd go to the police, if they're like the ones here you'll get a 'report of dangerous driving' form to fill out, basically explaining what happened.

From experience, you spend a while filling it in, give it back to them and then after 4 months the testimony of 3 witnesses and yourself is ignored and they write a letter to the driver reminding him that it would be nice if he could do his best not to deliberately drive his car at people, pretty please. :roll:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • On what you've said, yes, report it. Driving at someone deliberately is dangerous driving. If he'd done that to a copper on a bike he'd be in court soon enough. Also, he may be making a habit of this kind of behaviour. Or they might injure someone.

Have faith in the criminal justice system! Make the complaint, be cynical and be prepared to hear nothing for ages and don't have any preconceptions as to the outcome.

Don't let my cynicism put you off. If this guy scared you, he had no right to do that. Good luck!
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • That sort of behavior is appalling but the police will not do anything without independent witnesses, i had a guy do a close pass then pull up and get out of the car threatening to punch me and the cops did nothing .
    FCN 3/5/9
  • hstiles
    hstiles Posts: 414
    Is the car park open air? Does it look particularly secure? If feasible I'd be tempted to pop over there and smear dog sh*t on the undersides of the door handles. Works a treat.
  • In my experience the plod are useless in this situation, since their time is taken up with more important things like dining out with murdoch executives and protecting Gaddafi's son. If you're from outside London, there probably aren't any police since they're all in the capital on overtime to police riots which are no longer happening.

But I would report it anyway, on the basis that if enough people do this, they might just start to take bad driving seriously.

And certainly write to the council.

Good luck.
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    if you want to feel better pish some sh 1t through the air intake below the windshield

ever time the fan turns on...........
  • HamishD
    HamishD Posts: 538
    hstiles wrote:
    Is the car park open air? Does it look particularly secure? If feasible I'd be tempted to pop over there and smear dog sh*t on the undersides of the door handles. Works a treat.

In the absence of any reliable independent witnesses who can testify that this man deliberately tried to run you down, this is probably the best course of action.
  • HamishD
    HamishD Posts: 538
    estampida wrote:
    if you want to feel better pish some sh 1t through the air intake below the windshield

ever time the fan turns on...........

or this.
  • Reprot it anyway as you have nothing to lose. As mentioned before also report it to his employer in case it's a company car. Next time you do this route have a look round fior areas to see if there may be some cctv camera's that may have picked it up, but do this soon as most companies won't keep cctv records for long without a need to.
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    Write to the council giving the reg number and the buildings he parked up at.

It's worth a punt.

Also, check your local police website, it will give the names and email contact address for all police .

I'm in regular contact with local neighbourhood police via email .... and ... via twitter.

Get involved and start stirring things up.

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • I would report it..you're the cyclist aka vulnerable one. It's helpful that you didn't swear at him. I would report it to the council too

If it was me I'd be surprised if anything comes of it...unless you cross each other's paths once more and he displays his blatant disregard for saftey, then he might get in a little more trouble....