CycleOfViolence Posts: 57
edited September 2011 in Commuting chat
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/wor ... cle/66194/

I had to check it wasn't April 1st.

Downhill track anyone ?

Comments

• _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    The comedown would be much more fun than the getting high.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    They're way ahead of the curve when it comes to earth manipulation.

Look how much land they reclaimed from the sea.
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    Certainly beats that massive indoor ski slope in Saudi Arabia or wherever it is on the madness scale.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Is this actually happening? I thought it was a joke...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    notsoblue wrote:

It kinda was but some people/firms are taking it seriously.

They still need funding and planning permission, so, no, it won't happen.
  • notsoblue wrote:

Are there Gypsies in Holland ? They'd build it and there wouldn't be a damn thing anyone could do about it, tarmac prices would go through the roof :lol:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Posted already somewhere else on here but I'll make the same point I did then!

This is a 7000 foot mountain they are talking about. Have a look at a 7000 foot mountain (not that you'll find one around here) and then have a look at the largest quarry you can find. It would be a pimple on the side of the mountain. This would be the biggest thing mankind has ever done in just about every way (certainly, it would make the moon landings seem small scale). Anyone who thinks it could happen really shouldn't be on day release.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    When I was on a biking holiday in Holland I was amused at the Dutch attitude to hills. It was Sunday and we were riding over some dunes on the LF1. We stopped at the "top", it's just a bump really. But the local club riders were clearly racing up it and trying to beat each other up this "mountain". It was pretty funny.

The steepest bit of road you'll find in Holland is the ramp for the ferry at Rotterdam
  • Rolf F wrote:
    Posted already somewhere else on here but I'll make the same point I did then!

This is a 7000 foot mountain they are talking about. Have a look at a 7000 foot mountain (not that you'll find one around here) and then have a look at the largest quarry you can find. It would be a pimple on the side of the mountain. This would be the biggest thing mankind has ever done in just about every way (certainly, it would make the moon landings seem small scale). Anyone who thinks it could happen really shouldn't be on day release.

From the higher res picture here http://www.hofferskruger.com/ it looks like there is some kind of frame under the surface of the 'mountain'. Not that I'm suggesting that makes it any more plausible, but It would require a lot less rock.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue wrote:

Are there Gypsies in Holland ? They'd build it and there wouldn't be a damn thing anyone could do about it, tarmac prices would go through the roof :lol:
    eh?
  • Rubbish. This is a PR stunt by a firm of architects who have jumped on something and drawn up some impressions for a bit of free press.

It's an exciting enough idea but the world is so small now that you never have to travel for long to reach the right sort of terrain to train.
  • notsoblue
    vorsprung wrote:
    The steepest bit of road you'll find in Holland is the ramp for the ferry at Rotterdam

When I was a kid we used to race home made go-karts down man made hills. Felt like Edale...
  • Libraio
    Libraio Posts: 181
    I for one think it's a great (okayish) idea, much better waste of money and resources than a couple of other projects our government has finished in the last decade. 'Betuwelijn' (freight train running from Rotterdam to Germany, only no one uses it because the Jerry's dont have tracks at their end... Plus everybody told them this before the first shovel hit the dirt). 'HSL' (high speed train to Parris from Amsterdam. Stops in Rotterdam but not in The Hague, where our government houses and they go back and forth to Brussel, another stop along the way. Again everybody told them it was a bogus plan and behold, most people still take their car or they fly to Paris..).
    I'd rather cycle up a mountain just of our coast (the second idea) than watch empty tracks rusting away.
    Pass the ganja please :D
    The Commuter: 2009 Trek District
    The John Deere: 2011 Van Dessel WTF
  • If the 7000ft peak is the concept that gets the attention going, I could see a 1000 footer coming to actual fruition one day.