Camelbak pipe question.

Gav888
Gav888 Posts: 946
edited September 2011 in MTB general
Hi,

I bought a camelbak a little while ago (forgot the name) but its a 2lt race one in black, anyway the blue pipe connects to the bladder and when taking the bladder out to clean it I have to remove the pipe as well which is a pain.

The other day I spotted my mates hydration pack has a little twist plug thing that fits on the bladder and the pipe connects to that and it looks the same size pipe as mine. All he has to do is twist to take the pipe off the bladder and he is good to remove it.

Does anyone know where I could buy one of these twist plug things for my camelbak as it would save alot of time!

Cheers.
Cycling never gets any easier, you just go faster - Greg LeMond

Comments

• Is that the thing you mean?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=17083

If not, go to your LBS, they know about things like this.
  • Gav888
    Nah but thanks for looking, I had a search myself but i have no idea what its called. This thing fits bladder side and you disconnect the pipe from the bladder by twisting it. Very simple design.
  • I have never had to take the pipe off any bladder I have bought, just to get it out of the backpack.

Are you sure there is no other way?
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • Gav888
    You can take the bladder out but it's a pain trying to clean the bladder whilst it is still attached to the pipe in the pack, just keeps getting in the way. It's such an easy plug thing my mate has on his all, he can leave the pipe attached to the pack and just remove the bladder.
  • Personally seems like your making a big deal out of the extra 2 seconds to slide a tube through a hole.........
  • kja
    kja Posts: 259
    Gav, I think your mate must have one of the new 'antidote' reservoirs wich have a quick release tube. You can't modify your current reservoir and a new one is about £25. Hth
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Hydrapak's bladders have a quick release hose too, you might be able to get one of those cheaper. Much easier to clean too.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    You can remove the hose on all Camelbaks but the new Antidotes have a quick-click fixing.Older(Omega) reservoirs have a hose that just pulls off.
  • I manage to clean the several bladders at home without pulling off the hose. it's not that difficult.

I use small pieces of kitchen roll wadded in the hose, and a length of brake cable to push it through. I only need to do it once every year or so.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Clean?

Use, rinse, freeze.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Briiliant - I am going to tell the missus that there will be no more washing dishes or pots & pans - we will just get a big chest freezer to put them in until next time we need them!
  • apreading wrote:
    Briiliant - I am going to tell the missus that there will be no more washing dishes or pots & pans - we will just get a big chest freezer to put them in until next time we need them!

Dumbest sh!t I have ever heard. Food rots and tastes weird with other variations of food, if you freeze the water it doesn't have a chance to mold. So for the camelbak, just rinse out, hold bladder up and fill a little and filter out the tube, then pop in freezer once empty. Dishses are a different story.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I should have put a :lol: at the end of my post - wasnt being serious...
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    apreading wrote:
    Briiliant
    Yep, I know.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • kenan
    kenan Posts: 952
    I use one of these in my camelbak: http://www.gear-zone.co.uk/source-hydra ... d2598.html

Has a clip to take the hose off and you can open the top to clean if you want. However mine lives in the freeze so no cleaning like said above.
  • Gav888
    Had a look at my mates pack tonight and it's actually connected to the tube that goes into the bladder and the pipe plugs into that like a socket. It won't work on mine though....

Will keep an eye out for a quick release valve thing for the pipe as there is bound to be something to do the job.

FYI my pipe is kind of woven into the shoulder strap and it takes a while to get it out as it's a tight fit hence the need for something easier.
  • You may want to just buy a new bladder, i'd assume a bladder of the same size but different style would fit.
  • Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
    Specialized Turbo Levo Expert 29er
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    Tom Howard wrote:

I think it is, but £10.99... Might as well buy a new bladder and keep the old one as a spare.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets