PLAY.COM SCAM

Dirtydog11
Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
edited September 2011 in MTB general
If you get an email from Play.com confirming that you've ordered a hitachi hard drive and logitech web cam don't click on the link contained within the reciept.

If you have clicked on it then check in your downloads folder for a zipped file called Invoice_141219871991.zip, don't open it delete it.

It looks like this could possibly be related to the CRC fraud earlier in the year as a large number STW members have also recieved the same E-mail but unlike myself don't have a Play.com account, most have CRC accounts.

Reading between the lines it appears personal details from the CRC fraud may have been passed on.

Comments

• grenw
    grenw Posts: 804
    My wife got this very email yesterday. I opened it on her phone (much safer this way) and then saw the exe file in the zip.

Deleted straight away. Then checked the credit cards just in case!

Not seen this one before but heard similar ones using DHL or the like as the 'front'.

As far as I'm aware she's never bought anything from CRC.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Google Silverpop and play.com and you may find the answer, they had a security data breach earlier this year. mailing lists were stolen.
  • Had the same, rang the banks and the cc company - cancelled the CC - just the right sort of email to receive when returning home from a soaking wet ride!
    Trance x5
    Trek 4500 (toddler chariot)
  • Danlube
    Danlube Posts: 454
    Phew! I got one of those emails! Thought I had been hacked into! Opened it through my phone rather than the pc! Slimey buggers! Was about to phone play.com in a panicky voice"i have been hacked clOse the account and cancel that order!"
    Kona Tanuki Deluxe
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Had the same, rang the banks and the cc company - cancelled the CC - just the right sort of email to receive when returning home from a soaking wet ride!

Bit extreme isn't it?

The first thing to do would be to check play.com to see if an order has been made against your account (it would have to be your account for the email to come through to you). Once you see there's nothing then keep your eye on your bank account for any dodgy transactions, then cancel if needs be. Don't do it everytime you get a spam email!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • milese
    milese Posts: 1,233
    I got this email too.

Didn't open the attachment, logged onto Play and nothing has gone through my account, then searched for the items allegedly ordered and they are not even available through Play.

So forwarded email to play.
  • I never understand why people open these emails, especially attachments. bails87 hit the nail on the head and applied common sense :wink::)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Always check the header of the email to verify it really is from the sender. Usually there's a sneaky trick in the domain name so it's a similar name. Likewise the links inside, always look at what the real link is, not what you can read in the email.

But a good email package these days will spot most of the tricks and junk it straight away.

And as for any attachment - NEVER, EVER, open it unless it's something you were expecting and even then virus check it.

As for whether this is a compromise of play accounts. Probably not. They send these things out to random people or harvested mailing lists from all kinds of sources and there's a likelyhood you'll be a customer anyway.

I get loads of scam mails claiming to be from Lloyds or RBS but I'm not a customer. Fairly convincing mails too. PayPal is a common scammed mail, and I've had some claiming to be from Facebook with a notification mail recently but the links all point to some scam site. Very convincing one which I'm sure fools a lot of people.

Oh, and my tip is to use a different email address for each site you sign up to if you can. That way you can track where the leak is and also block the address and change it on the real site. Easier if you get yourself a domain or have unlimited email addresses.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    bails87 wrote:
    Had the same, rang the banks and the cc company - cancelled the CC - just the right sort of email to receive when returning home from a soaking wet ride!

Bit extreme isn't it?

When I get these emails, I promptly delete without opening and then cancel my CC and also change my identity by having a sex change.
  • I usually just send them my credit card numbers, with all billing information, and if the say it matches what is on the system there is nothing to worry about.
  • Anonymous
    I first make sure they are Nigerian and then I know I'm okay to send them all my details and a nice donation from my bank account too.
  • had this one yesterday. sent play a nice email telling them am not happy. Hopefully will get something nice from them. I was unlucky to be snagged by the CRC scam and they sent me a £30 voucher.
    2011 Rockhopper Comp
    24/Seven Deviant.
    Orange Diva (for the bint)
  • had this one yesterday. sent play a nice email telling them am not happy. Hopefully will get something nice from them. I was unlucky to be snagged by the CRC scam and they sent me a £30 voucher.

Doubt you will get anything from them if some hackers have cloned their mailing lists. Gotta love people expecting compensation from everything that happens.
  • wasnt expecting the compo, but it was a nice gesture. As for the hackers cloning the mailing list, at end of the day they should have had better security, especially considering how big a company play is. All i want is for them to follow up the incident.
    2011 Rockhopper Comp
    24/Seven Deviant.
  • I mean from play, if no damage was done, why should they compensate you. To quote you exactly "hopefully I get something nice from them"
  • ah but the damage HAS been done, someone has obtained my personal details from their website. How many times over has it been sold onto other unscrupilous sources by now?
    2011 Rockhopper Comp
    24/Seven Deviant.
  • You do realize it could have been taken from somewhere else, and was it card details stolen, or just your email address? Email address lists get sold by numerous companies, and it could just happen yours was sold by somewhere else, and since your email was on that list, they just got lucky with the play part of it.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Hence 'spam'.
    I get regular stuff purporting to come from Sams Club, UPS and others, none of which I've ever used, so no way anyone got my email off them.
    Maybe I should expect something nice from them as well.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    If I could get compensation for every piece of spam I get I could give up my day job!
  • That's what i'm saying. Maybe BR will get hit sometime, and i'll get a free shirt or magazine subscription of sorts.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    deadkenny wrote:
    If I could get compensation for every piece of spam I get I could give up my day job!

But you'd keep the night job. That street corner just wouldn't be the same without you.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools