CORNWALL

jon1993
jon1993 Posts: 596
edited September 2011 in Tour & expedition
Im going on a little tour from Hull to Cornwall and riding around cornwall for a week from a base campsite in mullian. Is there anywhere that is really worth a visit there as ive never been to cornwall untill now. Ive got a limit of about 100 miles from mullian as 200 miles really is my limit as id have to get back aswell but if theres something really special i will try go a bit further or sort something out in terms of somewhere to stay. thankyou for your help.
Scott Spark 30 carbon custom build
Giant Faith 2 DH bike
Boardman pro 2011
Boardman team carbon 2010
Carrera kracken 2009
Specialized fsr pro 2009
Haro custom build
Cannondale custom build

Comments

• 100 Cornish miles is a very tough 100, IMHO. There's nothing but hills in that corner, not massive, but 100 to 300 foot climbs constantly and very steep. No flat whatsoever.
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    I'm afraid I can second that. I've not cycled extensively in Cornwall - but we had a week's holiday down near Newquay this summer and I was 'allowed' out on the bike on my own for a day.

I like to think I am a good climber, I only weigh 60kg, so can hold my own on the hilly stuff.

Bloody hell - I did 200km, and it would rank up there as some of the hardest km I have ever ridden in my life. It never stops. It's steep, twisty little lanes that you can't even make speed up on the downhills as you can never see ahead far enough to let go properly.

I was further north-east than you and did a loop involving Newquay, St Agnes, Camelford, Looe, St Austell.

The leg over the moors from Camelford was very atmospheric, but hilly, Looe was very pretty, but hilly!

Brilliant cycling country, but hilly!
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    There is one flat bit in the whole of Cornwall - the Camel Trail!

Actually an enjoyable day out - Padstow is pretty, Rick Stein's chips are tasty (as is his seafood restaurant, but they may not let you in wearing cycling gear!). The Camel Valley vinyards are very interesting and (I am told, I don't drink) the wine is very good (they won best sparkling rose in the world a couple of years ago).

Easy riding (disused railway) that suited me and the other half perfectly for an easy day out on the bikes.

I really do think it is the only flat bit in the entire county!
  • jon1993
    Thats what i like to hear lots of hilly roads :D Im 18 wine isnt really my thing but beer will do fine :D haha and im about 60kg myself im very fit (without being big headed) im constantly training for Great Britan hockey team. I did a ride from Hull to Edinburgh the other week i cant imagine it being any more hilly than the northumberland national park is it? Did that in about 1 1/2 2 days so whats that about 175 miles a day. Thanks alot ill have a look at that place :)
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build
  • Living in Cornwall I can appreciate the hills every ride!

From Mullion, you could make a nice anti-clockwise circuit heading south towards Lizard and then east towards Coverack, St Keverne, Porthoustock, Porthhallow, St Anthony-in-Meneage, Helford, Mawgan, Gweek then cut across to the north coast thru Kehelland to the B3301 and follow this west thru Gwithian, Hayle and onto St Ives. Out of St Ives, take the B3306 to Zennor, Porthmeor, St Just and onto Lands End if you want to befor coming back around the south thru St Buryan, Moushole, Penzance, Marazion and around to Mullion. Thats about 100miles with a lot of climbing but on a nice day the scenary makes it all worth while. I haven't done this precise loop in one go, but 60 mile'ish chunks of it.

If you want more, then from mullion, head towards the river fal, crossing it on the 'king harry ferry', then take in the Roseland peninsula, following the coast to Looe.

Chris
  • jon1993
    Sounds good XD might have to do that :) where's the biggest hill around that area just for a nice hill climb lol
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build