Winter jacket time

Wrath Rob
Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
edited September 2011 in Commuting general
As the nights are starting to draw in my thoughts turn away from the scorching summer we've had (yeah, right) and to the dark nights of winter. I've been using an Altura Night Vision jacket for the last 3 years but I'm thinking of investing in something better and less boil/bag. I'm drawn to the Gore Oxygen GT AS jacket but its a touch pricey. Anything else that is waterproof, windproof and as breathable as possible? Visibility is important but it doesn't have to be day-glo.
FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.

Comments

• i wouldn't wear one of those altura things for any money man. way too hot. long sleeve roubaix jersey and if chilly, a softshell gilet. its got to be lashing down before i bring out the eVent jacket (DHB). Love my GoreTex MW80 boots though.
    Cannondale BadBoy Rohloff
    Cannondale SuperSix / 11sp Chorus
    Ridley Excalibur / 10sp Centaur
    Steel Marin Bear Valley SE
    Twitter @roadbikedave
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    I'm on my third Night Vision jacket - I can't fault it really especially if 'proofed' with graingers or =.

I have a Gore Pact-lite for rainy commutes but despite its price (£120 or so about 5 years ago) it's about as breathable as a bin-liner. It's as close to 100% waterproof as you can get though.

I'm not too fussed on waterproofing as, in general, it's pretty pointless. I do put the emphasis on keeping warm though.

Bob
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I used an Endura Venturi 2 last year and found it to be excellent. Good fit, breathable and plenty of zipped venting for when you are trying hard. Kept me toasty but not sweaty and in red it's reasonably visible.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • I'm at the same decision point... after taking up the cycling commute in March/April, I kitted out to be prepared for the summer. Now we're past summer I'm thinking of how to keep warm.

I was initially planning the Altura Night Vision Evo jacket as it gets great reviews in general, however what I have read here contradicts these. Was also going to go for the Night Vision tights and gloves. It was around £140 for the 3 items together.

Now I'm confused but will keep an eye on this thread to see what all comes up...
    Quite addicted to cycling now....
  • Wrath Rob
    In the end I went down the Gore route and so far its been great as I haven't got wet since I bought it because it hasn't rained when I've been on the bike!
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    In the end I went down the Gore route and so far its been great as I haven't got wet since I bought it because it hasn't rained when I've been on the bike!

Havinga raincoat seems to be a good talisman; got the Altura pocket rocket to go in the saddle bag and it's been dry as a witch's t1t since.
  • Whats the score with Altura Night Vision Evo then? I was also considering one of these but I'm not so sure now - I assume its a thumbs down from the people on here.
  • From October till March (12C to -10C to 12C) I wear a Ground Effect Frosty Boy. With a long sleeve base layer when it goes below 5C
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Gore Phantom 2. Awesome bit of kit.

Worth putting reflective strips on your frame.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • DrLex wrote:
    got the Altura pocket rocket to go in the saddle bag and it's been dry as a witch's t1t since.

I got one of them in June, but am having to admit to not being a Large - need XLarge... these are definitely a size out. Worn twice and hung up in the cupboard.
    Quite addicted to cycling now....
  • I read a lot of negative comments about the Night Vision zips - that they were prone to failure.

So when I saw them in the shops, the comments that I read were justified. The zips look pretty poor quality in my opinion.

I ended up getting the Endura Gridlock. Uses good quality YKK zips which feel like they'll last.
  • Yep - i can confirm the issues with the zips. I have a Night Vision and the chest pocket zip went after 1 month. The main zip is also prone to getting caught in the lining.
    That said it is a decent winter jacket. Very warm, but too warm for an autumn jacket. Fairly waterproof, but not in a tropical downpour.
    It is what i expected for a jacket at that price.
    On the plus side, it is comfortable and can be seen by everyone around you, so no-one has an excuse if you get run off the road.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • Wrath Rob
    cjcp wrote:
    Gore Phantom 2. Awesome bit of kit.

Worth putting reflective strips on your frame.
    Just checked and I've got the Oxygen IV jacket. Seems like the dogs danglies but it sizes fairly small (they call it "race fit") and its got no pockets.
  • I started riding in April too. Cost a pretty penny kitting out but it was the right thing to do. Problem is I haven't the money for my first winter. Thinking of the Aldi Winter Cycling Jacket with their base layer and Merino shirt. Might even consider the rain jacket too. Its certainly better than the Decathlon one I have.
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Specialized Roubaix Comp 2017
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
    http://www.whitestar1.co.uk