KMC chains jumping.

saladfunky
saladfunky Posts: 130
edited September 2011 in The workshop
Any body changed to a KMC chain when the previous one is worn out? I have done it twice on 2 different bikes and experienced the jumping when under load that I have heard others experience.
First off I replaced a shimano 105 chain with a 10 speed KMC one, it jumped really bad at first and gradually settled down. Still jumps a bit after 50 miles or so in a couple of gears. I am going to change the cassette to see if that helps
Second one was on my mtb, a shimano chain on a deore cassette I guess, the chain wasn't worn but I'd snapped it (another story)The KMC chain jumps on any gear with moderate load. I will ride it a bit and see if it settles down and report back

If there are any similar stories then I'd be quite interested to hear them

cheers

Chris

:?
Trek Emonda and Kiron Scandium on the road and Cube ltd Team for the rest .Also a retired Holdsworth Professional. Love Cycling!!

Comments

• I've ran KMC chains for years, New chain & new Shimano cassette, no problems.
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • I've ran KMC chains for years, New chain & new Shimano cassette, no problems.

thats good to hear, I wonder if it is the fact that my cassette is partially worn?? I guess the fact after 50 miles it jumped less was because the chain had bedded itself in. It still jumps a bit in third so I guess this one is the most worn. I have ordered an ultagra cassette, see if that changes things.

got to say, the KMC chain is quiet :-)

Cheers
    Trek Emonda and Kiron Scandium on the road and Cube ltd Team for the rest .Also a retired Holdsworth Professional. Love Cycling!!
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    If you have a well worn chain + cassette, you'll need to replace the cassette at the same time as you replace the chain to avoid the symptoms you describe.

The manufacturer of the chain is not a factor.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Yep, that's the road bike sorted, ultegra cassette and kmc x10 chain work fine together. So will do the same for the mtb now. A new cassette to go with the kmc x9

Chris
    :D
  • And now with a new cassette on the mtb that too has cured the jumping chain issue. So yes the kmc x9 and x10 chains are very compatable with the shimano xt and the ultegra cassettes.

:D
  • I'm glad you got it sorted :)

For what its worth I was going to add that if the problem persisted after changing the chain/ cassette, you should also change your chainrings as they may also be worn. I had similar issues a few weeks back after chaging to a blingy KMC silver chain that was skipping under load on both the old (to be expected) cassette, and new (not to be expected) cassette.

Anyway, after much head scratching I figured out (LBS 0 - Me 1) the cause might be the chainrings that had 5000+ miles in them, even though they looked ok. Hey presto problem solved.
    Reporter: "What's your prediction for the fight?"
    Clubber Lang: "Prediction?"
    Reporter: "Yes. Prediction"
    Clubber Lang: "....Pain!!!"
  • Ride hard wrote:
    I'm glad you got it sorted :)

For what its worth I was going to add that if the problem persisted after changing the chain/ cassette, you should also change your chainrings as they may also be worn. I had similar issues a few weeks back after chaging to a blingy KMC silver chain that was skipping under load on both the old (to be expected) cassette, and new (not to be expected) cassette.

Anyway, after much head scratching I figured out (LBS 0 - Me 1) the cause might be the chainrings that had 5000+ miles in them, even though they looked ok. Hey presto problem solved.

oooo, I may have only just got away with that then as I have over 7000miles on my shimano 105 chainset, I now have a chain checking tool and will change it in more hast in future and hope the chain rings last.

Cheers

Chris