All over for Leopard Trek

Comments

• Tusher, step away from the crack pipe!
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    :D
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Nissan aren't a new sponsor though, are they? They've upped their investment, but they were a sponsor of the Shack from the off.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Tusher
    (quickly checks crib notes)

Ah, yes, em, possibly.

You're right, Iain.
  • How about this -

RadioShack and Nissan were both woo-ed by Lance who wanted a vehicle for a last hurrah...

Lance retires...

Major investigations into his (alleged) doping assisted past surface...

The 'Shack and Nissan, keen to retain an interest in pro cycling spy an opportunity to continue to reap the benefits of sponsoring a Pro Tour outfit jump ship to Leopard Trek (taking advantage of Trek's common involvement and the teams desperation for sponsors) whilst distancing themselves from any potential fallout from the ongoing Armstrong affair?

Just a though :)
  • Tusher
    Mmmm, not a bad theory at all Duncan.
  • except not distancing themselves at all by dragging Bruyneel along with them.
  • But RadioShack and Nissan will be concerned what affect the Armstrong Affair will have on their business right? How much does joe public know about the special relationship between Armstrong and Bruyneel?
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    But so long as there's still a cycling team with RadioShack and Nissan in the title, there's surely a a link. How much does Joe Public know about the merger anyway?

I would say that Disco and USPS get the majority of the bad publicity from the doping case anyway.

I would also think any team with JB in it is going to leave themselves open to a journalist digging some dirt.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • Well regardless, I doubt we'll ever find out. Will JB be able to extract any additional performance out of AS to enable him to get the better of Contador?
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Tusher wrote:
    , but if Nissan had the cash to invest, surely Cuddly Bob would have already knocked on their door earlier this year.

If, as a sponsor, you can get the best result in terms of public exposure from winning the TdF, who are you going to look for as a manager - the Hog or Cuddly Bob?
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    How about this -

RadioShack and Nissan were both woo-ed by Lance who wanted a vehicle for a last hurrah...

Lance retires...

Major investigations into his (alleged) doping assisted past surface...

The 'Shack and Nissan, keen to retain an interest in pro cycling spy an opportunity to continue to reap the benefits of sponsoring a Pro Tour outfit jump ship to Leopard Trek (taking advantage of Trek's common involvement and the teams desperation for sponsors) whilst distancing themselves from any potential fallout from the ongoing Armstrong affair?

Just a though :)

Nice idea except they are using CSE to do the marketing and with JB onboard it will be viewed as the same team
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    A Leaked Letter from The Hog to the Pretty Pony Brothers

Dear Frank and Andy,

I am very pleased that you will both be riding on my new team. I wanted to address a few things right away so we get off on the right foot. The goal of this team is to WIN races, we view 2nd and 3rd place as the 1st and 2nd losers. Here are a few new team rules that will go into place at the end of the 2011 season.

1. Ride together all you want in the off season, because next year you will NEVER be in the same race. I will not have either one of you looking around for the other one. Frank you should study up on Italy and Spain. Andy focus on France! During Grand tours, you are not allowed to call, Skype, or send pictures to each other.

Schlooking2.jpg

2. We will be repossessing all but one of your bikes for the first 3 months of the off season. The only one we are leaving you is a Time Trial bike. You might remember that bike is the one with the funny looking bars that makes the "swoosh swoosh" noise when you ride it. LEARN to ride it and get faster on it! You look like two monkeys humping a futball when you ride a TT. We will fix this!

SCHLECK+BRO+TT.jpg

3. Andy this one is directed at you: We will have a bonfire at our training camp; bring every picture/note/piece of Best Friend stuff you have from your relationship with Alberto. To be honest, he thinks you're a fool and he makes fun of you every chance he gets. He actually referred to you as "mi perra" over race radio. (Google it - it's not kind.)

BFF-Photo.jpg

4. If you are going to do your "traditional" off season dolphin swims, make sure there is no one there to take pictures. Swimming with a porpous is completely emaskulating. Grow 2 pairs and swim with sharks if you need to get closer to nature. Don't say a word about Boonen swimming with the dolphins; he pulls more girls than most rock stars and wins cobbled classic races.

DOLPHINS+WTF.jpg

5. Scarves...lose them, ALL of them!

SCRAVE+IT+UP.jpg

6. Andy this is another one for you - if you win a stage you are never allowed to "post up." It looks as though you are having a seizure and we can't use the pictures for any PR purposes.

FRANDY+POST+UP.jpg

7. We will have an in-depth class for both of you about social media and the topic of WINNING! I never want to see another Tweet like "We are ____ (fill in with words like happy, satisfied, content) to get 2nd and 3rd at ____ (fill in race/stage Amstel, the TDF, etc.)

FRANDY5.jpg

8. Only one of you can ride in the Luxembourg championship races. You can decide between the two of you, but trying to figure out which one of you has those jerseys gives me a headache. Plus, there are only like 5 riders from your country so it doesn't matter much anyway; it's not like you're Belgian!

WHICH+ONE.jpg

9. Yes, you will be riding SRAM again. Get over it; our mechanics know WTF they are doing and you will be fine.

chain+go+boom.jpg

10.Please try to pay attention when training. No music, texting, or no handed riding. I don't want to see pictures of your skinny bodies all bloody and damaged. You two look like you escaped from a prison camp half the off season.

FRANDY+OFFSEASON.jpg

PS: Find out when and where Johhny Hoogerland trains and ride with him!

Kindest regards,
    JB

http://handlebarmustache.blogspot.com/
    cartoon.jpg
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Isn't a key aspect here the fact that the team are using the Leopard licence so it makes it easier to remove Bruyneel (and Stapleton) when the poo starts flying without taking the whole team with them.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    RichN95 wrote:
    Isn't a key aspect here the fact that the team are using the Leopard licence so it makes it easier to remove Bruyneel (and Stapleton) when the poo starts flying without taking the whole team with them.

True, but if you regard the licence as an asset, why would Bruyneel use his own when someone else's is available? He'll probably just sell his own licence and trouser the cash.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • RichN95 wrote:
    The licence gives you Cancellara, who would surely walk if they used the other licence and made him a free agent. I thought that was a bigger draw than making it somehow easier to ditch Bruyneel later. He is too canny to get ditched anyway.
  • Jesus, Radioshack and Leopard Trek made me nauseus enough, mentioning Lance Armstrong is taking it a step too far.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    How much does joe public know about the special relationship between Armstrong and Bruyneel?

How much does joe public CARE might be a better question. You may think that their relationship is outlandish, criminal, rotten to the core, and whatever, but that's just you.
    Most people are smarter than to let a couple of bike racers get under their skin. :roll:
  • Doobz wrote:
    A Leaked Letter from The Hog to the Pretty Pony Brothers

Dear Frank and Andy,

I am very pleased that you will both be riding on my new team. I wanted to address a few things right away so we get off on the right foot. The goal of this team is to WIN races, we view 2nd and 3rd place as the 1st and 2nd losers. Here are a few new team rules that will go into place at the end of the 2011 season.

1. Ride together all you want in the off season, because next year you will NEVER be in the same race. I will not have either one of you looking around for the other one. Frank you should study up on Italy and Spain. Andy focus on France! During Grand tours, you are not allowed to call, Skype, or send pictures to each other.

Schlooking2.jpg

2. We will be repossessing all but one of your bikes for the first 3 months of the off season. The only one we are leaving you is a Time Trial bike. You might remember that bike is the one with the funny looking bars that makes the "swoosh swoosh" noise when you ride it. LEARN to ride it and get faster on it! You look like two monkeys humping a futball when you ride a TT. We will fix this!

SCHLECK+BRO+TT.jpg

3. Andy this one is directed at you: We will have a bonfire at our training camp; bring every picture/note/piece of Best Friend stuff you have from your relationship with Alberto. To be honest, he thinks you're a fool and he makes fun of you every chance he gets. He actually referred to you as "mi perra" over race radio. (Google it - it's not kind.)

BFF-Photo.jpg

4. If you are going to do your "traditional" off season dolphin swims, make sure there is no one there to take pictures. Swimming with a porpous is completely emaskulating. Grow 2 pairs and swim with sharks if you need to get closer to nature. Don't say a word about Boonen swimming with the dolphins; he pulls more girls than most rock stars and wins cobbled classic races.

DOLPHINS+WTF.jpg

5. Scarves...lose them, ALL of them!

SCRAVE+IT+UP.jpg

6. Andy this is another one for you - if you win a stage you are never allowed to "post up." It looks as though you are having a seizure and we can't use the pictures for any PR purposes.

FRANDY+POST+UP.jpg

7. We will have an in-depth class for both of you about social media and the topic of WINNING! I never want to see another Tweet like "We are ____ (fill in with words like happy, satisfied, content) to get 2nd and 3rd at ____ (fill in race/stage Amstel, the TDF, etc.)

FRANDY5.jpg

8. Only one of you can ride in the Luxembourg championship races. You can decide between the two of you, but trying to figure out which one of you has those jerseys gives me a headache. Plus, there are only like 5 riders from your country so it doesn't matter much anyway; it's not like you're Belgian!

WHICH+ONE.jpg

9. Yes, you will be riding SRAM again. Get over it; our mechanics know WTF they are doing and you will be fine.

chain+go+boom.jpg

10.Please try to pay attention when training. No music, texting, or no handed riding. I don't want to see pictures of your skinny bodies all bloody and damaged. You two look like you escaped from a prison camp half the off season.

FRANDY+OFFSEASON.jpg

PS: Find out when and where Johhny Hoogerland trains and ride with him!

Kindest regards,
    JB

http://handlebarmustache.blogspot.com/

Enjoyed this by the way. :lol:
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,170
    @Doobz - :lol:
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    Doobz wrote:
    A Leaked Letter from The Hog to the Pretty Pony Brothers.......

FRANDY+POST+UP.jpg

The Hog must be forgetting the sponsors dream photo of Frank doing his 'Predator' impression on the Alp
    _41901866_shleck416.jpg

Say what you want about those Scheck boys but they certainly are photogenic when they win :lol:
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,204
    Judging by that pick of Frank he needs to start using his left arm more when watching certain internet sites to balance it to the right! :lol:
  • Tusher
    Loved it, Doobz!
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    I'm a bit behind on the news..but that is 1 less pro tour team with the merger..those let go by both teams will not be happy. With HTC gone..it looks even worse. Sounds bad for riders looking for new places..56 to 60 less vacancies than a year ago.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Top Post Doobz!

What does everyone think the Hog will do with the Schlecks?

Time and time again, I've heard pundits claim that having two (or more) serious GC contenders is great for a team, yet I can only recall seeing it work out well once (when Sastre took Yellow)

Other times, it seems teams are unable to take advantage, from the Schleck brothers to the the T-Mobile years with Jan, Vino and Kloden all fighting for the lead. I suppose you could add that Alberto won with Lance in the team, but tbh it felt like he won in spite of having him in the team.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • Jez mon wrote:

Other times, it seems teams are unable to take advantage, from the Schleck brothers to the the T-Mobile years with Jan, Vino and Kloden all fighting for the lead. I suppose you could add that Alberto won with Lance in the team, but tbh it felt like he won in spite of having him in the team.

I think I prefer those situations to ones with slick teamwork. You see selfish human nature in action as the team unity implodes. The mad (and ultimately fruitless) attacks by Vino agianst Kloden and T-Modile were great to watch. Another good moment was Aitor "The Traitor" Gonzalez stealing the 2002 Vuelta from his team captain who was leading on the GC at the time.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Nygaard confirmed out.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    on the plus side, Fabian might get a better Swiss National Champions Jersey next season
  • Dave_1 wrote:
    I'm a bit behind on the news..but that is 1 less pro tour team with the merger..those let go by both teams will not be happy. With HTC gone..it looks even worse. Sounds bad for riders looking for new places..56 to 60 less vacancies than a year ago.

Forgive my ignorance on how pro tour team licensing works, but with two teams gone won't one or two of the Pro-Continental teams have a chance at a license? Or is it financially non-viable for them to do so?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • On the bright side, Yohan gets to sell off twice as many Treks as usual on eBay.
    That should buy a whole lot of extra beetroot juice.
    Maybe he'll be able to ween Andy off the beer with some of this special brew?
    iainf72 wrote:
    Nygaard confirmed out.
    Harmon suggested as much during today's commentary.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.