ID in France

huggy
huggy Posts: 242
edited September 2011 in Tour & expedition
Off to the Pyrenees shortly and just remembered about having to carry ID at all times in France. Is it always a passport? Just thinking what to carry in my jersey that won't mind too much sweat. There is the saddlebag I suppose, always a bit grubby inside that though...

Thanks in anticipation! :D

Comments

• Photo driving license?

Keith
  • mz__jo
    mz__jo Posts: 398
    Technically it is the passport as that is the only document that proves nationality. I have got into the habit of carrying mine at all times, other than when I am on the bike, especially since the ending of the "carte de séjour" for non-french residents. It would be sensible to always have your european medical card with you even on the bike; this is far more important than the passport in case of accident.
    For me, if I am just riding locally, I take just my FFCT membership card (which has my photo on it) but if I am going outside the département its the passport and medical card. If you want to, you could carry just your driving licence, medical card and some sort of (preferably printed) paper with the address where you are staying, but if you are stopped whatever you do, don't argue with the law. Look innocent and apologetic is probably the best policy, most lawmen will be sympathetic but you may fall on the one that is down on his quota (yes, they do have quotas to meet for "verbalising" people).
    On the whole, the likelihood of being controlled on a pushbike if you look the part is pretty much zero. On my first Brevet Montagnard I had left my passport at home for fear of losing it. Due to a last minute route change we had to go into Switzerland and then back into France. No control going out and the Douanes weren't controlling cyclists on the way back, they had a queue of cars to keep them occupied. Phew!! The organisers had warned us signing on to take identity but that's not much good when you are already 400kms from home.
  • huggy
    huggy Posts: 242
    Ok thanks very much for the info, definitely will take the medical card and probably the passport unless it's a very short errand type ride. Cheers!
  • mz__jo
    mz__jo Posts: 398
    Since you are away from home, think to carry a paper with a contact name and phone number or address for where you are staying, in case of accident (like wife and her mobile number). This will help enormously in case of accident. The next of kin information in the passport is better than nothing but will usually be a UK address.