Best cycle panniers.

ademort
ademort Posts: 1,924
edited September 2011 in Tour & expedition
I recently purchased a new bike http://www.izibike.nl/product/3719/Bata ... x_2011&p=3 i will be using it for mainly carrying shopping and would like some recommendations for large cycle panniers. I dont mind if it,s two single panniers or a double pannier.
Ademort
ademort
Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
Giant Defy 4
Mirage Columbus SL
Batavus Ventura

Comments

• AndyOgy
    AndyOgy Posts: 579
    Ortleib.

And that is a nice bike.
  • Agreed. Ortlieb.

http://www.ortlieb.co.uk/

And yes, that's a nice bike.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    Just so you have some comparisons:

I've used Ortlieb and Carradice and like them both. Ortleib are fully waterproof and very well made. They are also quite sleek and shiny and look like money, in some cases possibly making your luggage a bit more tempting to opportunist thieves.

Carradice with their cotton duck panniers are very water resistant - I've had them in downpours and been just fine - and, after use, look a bit more trail worn in a positive sense; thieves are likely to think all they'll find is stinky cycling clothes.

Also Ortlieb panniers can get a bit whiffy if, over the course of a long tour, you end up putting damp clothes etc in - something that is almost impossible to avoid if you are on the road long enough, or in consistently bad weather. Carradice's cotton duck breathes better and is therefore a less whiffy.

Carradice are also rather easier to mend - another consideration if you are on the road a long time.

The finish is better on the Ortlieb panniers.

Carradice are slightly cheaper.

Both are good.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    I use some very old, much-repaired Carradice Super-Cs on the back and some nice new shiny, white Ortleibs on the front.
    I was able to rinse out the Ortleibs after a pesto leakage so I rate them for food storage.
    Carradice are fairly water resistant but worn out ones develop holes after a few decades so you may want to use a drybag for extra security.

The features that make both good are:
    Reliable quick-release, locking hooks.
    Heel cutout profile
    Big main compartment
    Fairly light, simple stiffening (ie not complex moulded plastic or cheap cardboard)
    Non-zip closure with the capacity for overloading.
  • We've not been touring long, but my wife has single layer plastic altura, and I've got Altura dryline stuff. i can see that if the plastic is worn/cut then the plastic ones will have major problems, so we double bag/drybag most things.

the dryliners have a double layer so should be more waterproof.
    We bought these because they are what our LBS had. i wanted to make sure of sizes and quality before buying enything.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    Maybe a bit over the top to buy Ortlieb panniers if they are mainly going to be used for shopping?

If you are going to splash out on a premium brand then I'd also consider Vaude - for my money they are better designed/engineered - although the differences are really pretty minor.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    andymiller wrote:
    Maybe a bit over the top to buy Ortlieb panniers if they are mainly going to be used for shopping?

If you are going to splash out on a premium brand then I'd also consider Vaude - for my money they are better designed/engineered - although the differences are really pretty minor.

I'll second this. I have used both and it's Vaude Aquas for me. Far easier to get on with day to day. Very robust.

What I would add is cut several pieces of carpet (preferably new and an off cut) about 5-6 inches wide or measure your pannier and 3 foot long (base plus x2 side lengths). Then place them upper side down in the panniers to give added protection to the base and sides. This works a treat for increasing the life of your panniers, hard edge objects won't be pushing directly on the pannier fabric risking puncture. Also the panniers will maintain shape better. Honest it works!
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.