Tour of the Cornfields

FransJacques
FransJacques Posts: 2,148
Not sure where CX rides go...but did anyone ride today?

Really fun to bump along the fields, but it was getting a bit samey after a while.

Not sure distance-wise what the split was between on and off road, but I do know that time-wise it seemed like 80% was off road.

I had 2 big stacks but rode with some nice guys, 1 Welwyn guy and then the 2 Sigma Sport guys who did some good pace-setting on the road.
When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.

Comments

• Pirahna
    Pirahna Posts: 1,315
    I rode it, and I can feel every bump this morning. I should have used the mountain bike rather the crosser as front suspension definitely would have made it easier. Good fun though despite getting a soaking.
  • I hear you - the weapon of choice for yesterday would've been a really light, carbon dual-sus 29er like a Spec FSR or Scalpel. I'd have put on some really smooth 1.85 tyres pumped up hard. You'd have the rolling capability for the tarmac and the silky suspension for the washboard.

I fell off twice, bashing each knee in the process, but I was reasonably happy with a 3:35 ride time.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • Pirahna
    Pirahna Posts: 1,315
    Just got the results email.

You did well with that time. I rode round with wifey in 5.21, she reckons it was the hardest thing she's done. :D
  • The guy who did 3:17 rode it as a race and took off like a shot from the start. I stayed with him for the first 5 kms until my bottle popped out on the rough stuff then I ratcheted it back 2-3 notches and settled in. The first half went quickly but then yes, the constant pounding took it's toll and my legs began to feel very heavy.

I wish I took the time to look around a bit more, I think there was some nice countryside at times but I must admit I was studying the trail in front.

I can't believe all the DNSs on the day, yet the organizers refused at least 3 people who showed up on spec. I counted 38 DNSs on the results list. That's not realistic planning by those riders nor the organizers to be more flexible.
  • friso
    friso Posts: 107
    Hi

This was my second time and rocked up on a super blinged out Niner 29er with rigid forks and was in full smug mode until 0.9 miles in and the first big hit off the first road section and my seat post snapped clean off from the top of the frame

Day over for me

Really didn't need the stupid sarcastic comments from afew idiots in the following groups as i pedalled back to the car park. So much for cyclists sticking together

My club mates on various MTB's ranged from 3.25 to 3.55, Gutted!