Avid Juicy 3 pad catching on 180mm PM to PM adaptor

bigpee
bigpee Posts: 205
edited September 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm just in the process of upgrading my front rotor to 180mm from 160mm. My forks are RS Sektors with post mounts. The calipers are Avid Juicy 3s. The pads are new Superstar organics and the rotor is 180mm rotor also from Superstar. The adpator I'm using is a Superstar 180mm PM to PM adaptor.

When installed the removal tab on the pad on the outside goes beyond the adaptor meaning it catches on it and is prevented going back fully. This means the whole caliper is in the wrong place for the rotor to turn.

One solution I have is to hack saw off the removal tab (or at least a portion of it) but before I do this I just wanted to check I'm not missing something blindingly obvious in the way I've installed it.

Hopefully the tab is visible on the photo - please note bolts deliberately not tightened on caliper.

SAM_0588.jpg
Current bikes:
Norco Sight 3 SE (on order)
Specialized Allez 2010

Old bikes:
Commencal META 55 custom build (Stolen :( )
Boardman HT Comp 2010
GT Avalance 1.0 2006(ish)

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Nope, saw it off.
    Almost every adapter will cause this problem with Avid juicies.

Just make sure as well, that the disc fits properly. I think Juicies run 183 or 185mm discs normally, or something peculiar like that.
    So, make sure the entire braking surface is being used, and that there's no pad overlap at the outer edge, or... as the pads wear, the lip will prevent the pads clamping onto the disc!
  • bigpee
    Ta - tabs have been removed, although I had to move one of the washers across as the caliper was contacting with the adaptor bolts at the bottom - they really aren't made for Avid calipers! Good thing they're getting upgraded in the new year. I think the whole pad is on the rotor but I shall monitor.
    Current bikes:
    Specialized Allez 2010

Old bikes:
    Boardman HT Comp 2010
  • kdawg74
    kdawg74 Posts: 271
    Its a bit late now that you have sawn the tabs off, and i could be wrong but it could be because you have the adapter the wrong way up.
    2008 Kona Dawg Deluxe http://s1187.photobucket.com/albums/z39 ... luxe%2008/

Schwinn Madison fixie
    Tifosi Road bike
    Singlespeed Hardtail http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z39 ... AG0457.jpg
  • bigpee
    I'm going to try the other way round anyway but there is a helpful 'up' arrow on the adaptor which is pointing up :) .
    Current bikes:
    Specialized Allez 2010

Old bikes:
    Boardman HT Comp 2010
  • kdawg74
    kdawg74 Posts: 271
    Best to ignore what i said then, just thought it might work.
    2008 Kona Dawg Deluxe http://s1187.photobucket.com/albums/z39 ... luxe%2008/

Schwinn Madison fixie
    Tifosi Road bike
    Singlespeed Hardtail http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z39 ... AG0457.jpg
  • bigpee
    kdawg74 wrote:
    Best to ignore what i said then, just thought it might work.

To be honest I'd been wondering if it was the right way round as the calipers are very close to the adaptor. It does work this way round but I'm going to see what it's like the other way just to appease my curiosity ;) .
    Current bikes:
    Specialized Allez 2010

Old bikes:
    Boardman HT Comp 2010
  • Definately looks upside down to me !
  • bigpee
    Well I tried it and believe it or not I managed to fit it right first time round. This pads line up perfectly on the rotor as pictured. Turn it upside down and they're nowhere near.
    Current bikes:
    Specialized Allez 2010

Old bikes:
    Boardman HT Comp 2010