Tubeless Woes !

sheepshifter
sheepshifter Posts: 115
edited September 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Wheels are ust fulcrums, tyres are ust specific, Stans valves and sealant do you think i can get them seated can i heck.On one of my rimms in the sidewall is what appears to be a small pin prick hole drilled not vis on the inside of the rim but air and soap is p.....g out of it,is this a fault should it be there is it going to prevent me from running that rim tubeless.Lastly is it all worth it or should i just stick with a tube i dont run low pressures and only get a pinch once in a blue moon .Thanks for listening in this one is set to challenge me dont know wether its really worth the aggro.
PACE RC325.5 1x9

GENESIS io SS

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Personally I find tubes a great solution for holding air.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I just recently moved to tubeless using a Stan's kit. Persevere, its definitely worth it. No punctures any more though watch you don't run those pressures too low as I managed to burst the front seal off Warewolf's at Cannock and we struggled to reseal on the ride.

As for sealing first time, - IMO it's easier with 2 people. Follow the Stan's instructions but I found it easier to have someone flatten the tyre at the top a little. You'll need a decent large volume track pump and a full stroke followed by some fast pumping action! Worked for me.

Another option is to use a CO2 canister which can help as it gives a large volume of gas quickly. It's getting that bead to seal enough to allow the tyre to fill that's a bugg@. Good luck.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    If they're actually pukka UST tyres they should be totally air tight, so if it's leaking then the tyre's defective. Tubeless Ready may have slightly porous sidewalls, which will be solved by running sealant, but not UST.
  • Sorted stans valve wasnt compat with my rim, hole in rim is norm on a lot of rims its there to dispearse heat
    PACE RC325.5 1x9

GENESIS io SS