Chain on boardman fs 2010

DODGEYONE
DODGEYONE Posts: 44
edited September 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi i have just built up a boardman fs 2010 and have got to the last thing chain does any body have one or does anybody now the correct length i need ie how many link thanks for the help i just dont want to muck it up at the last bit

Comments

• d3matt
    d3matt Posts: 510
    I can measure it later, but its better to size it yourself. There's plenty of YouTubevideos for help, but you take the air out of the rear shock and compress the suspension. Then tie up the frame in this compressed position with string or cable ties and then put the chain around the largetst cog at the front and on the rear, but without going through the rear derailleur. The correct length is this plus 1" or 3 links.
    Ps. This is all from memory, so double check those videos.

Riding this Boardman Team FS 2010. Also trying my first blog.
  • Thanks for the repliy yes if you can it would help get me close to were i need to be as i have not got a shock pump to re air the shock so if your chain is fine i will set at that lengh thanks
  • Danlube
    Danlube Posts: 454
    Get a shock pump. If your going to run a full suss you are going to need a shock pump, you will then be able to setup the suspension perfectly for your weight resulting in a better performing bike. Get a shock pump! :)
    Kona Tanuki Deluxe
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Big/big plus 2 links.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • It's a shimano HG-73 if that helps.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • cooldad
    Model of chain makes no difference, as long as it's the right speed.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The chain is a hg53 but i am hopeing d3matt can help me out until i get the shock pump thanks
  • cooldad
    Don't take the air out, just measure it where it would normally be.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    cooldad wrote:

But you need to measure at the point where the chain is longest. Otherwise you could be riding along fine, then hit a bump and rip your mech off.

Also, OP: How have you built an FS without a shock pump? How do you know that you've got anything like the right pressure? Buy/borrow one so you can get the chain and then the shock itself set up right.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Hi i bought the frame with shock already in but i do need a shock pump and i dont have any idea on which to get need one about 20 pound any ideas,air shocks are all new to me its a monarch 3.1 i have no ifo on how to set up so will get set for my weight at local shop .
  • d3matt
    The chain length should be 1363mm from centre of the pins, plus one fixing link - a SRAM powerlink in my case.
    You can get the shock instructions from the RockShox website and you simply pump it up to the correct pressure for your weight, which gives you the correct sag. You need a pump, as the Monarch 3.1 has a reputation for loosing pressure. I check mine before each ride and do generally have to add a little more air each time.

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The chain length should be 1363mm from centre of the pins, plus one fixing link - a SRAM powerlink in my case.

How did you work that out? We don't even know what cassette or chainset he is running.
  • cooldad
    bails87 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

But you need to measure at the point where the chain is longest. Otherwise you could be riding along fine, then hit a bump and rip your mech off.
    Reasonable point - I normally add one extra link on a HT and two on a FS, but I suppose it really depends on where the chain is tightest - would it always be when the suspension is fully compressed? - I'm not convinced but too hard to think about it properly, long day.

Means nothing, but I've never ripped a mech off.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • d3matt
    supersonic wrote:
    How did you work that out? We don't even know what cassette or chainset he is running.

You're correct. I wrongly was assuming he was using the original 2010 Boardman FS gear set, which is:
    Cassette: 11-32T (SRAM PG950)
    Chainset: 44/32/22T (Truvativ Firex 3.2 GXP)

• cooldad
    And assuming your chain is the right length. Again easiest and safest just to measure the thing, only takes a minute.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • d3matt
    cooldad wrote:
    And assuming your chain is the right length.

It is. Same length as the original and double-checked using the normal sizing method.

• Thanks for all the help i will post back when xt mech comes thanks
  • Ok update all went fine chains on xt front mech xt back mech on xt back cassete and firex crank only one small problem to fix slipping gears under load at moment hopeing its just a tight link on new hg53 chain when i joined it going to check now
  • just one thing while i am here on the back mech side its a dero xt and the only thing i have not replaced would that be causeing any issues if so does any body now if i would need a xt long cage or short to replace thanks
  • Ok thanks i think the rear mech is about 7 years old so i think i will replace looking at a xtr long cage on flee bay