the little plastic ring?

SimonAH
SimonAH Posts: 3,730
edited September 2011 in Commuting chat
You know, that little clear guard twixt big cog and spokes on the back wheel of a new bike. WTF is it for? Any reason why it shouldn't hit the bin with the fugly reflectors?
FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Comments

• To stop the chain going past the big sprocket if your rear gear mech is badly adjusted. I've had a couple of bikes with them and cut them off. I did it with a craft knife held in a flame for a few moments.
  • I think it also protects the spokes. Since if the chain comes off it can cut gouges out of the spokes.
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    Someone once gave me a really complicated scientific explanation for this - It's for stability he said. I thought bollo***, took it off and have never fallen off due to it not being there.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • It's there so you can smugly ride past riders who have either had a mech malfunction, or had something hit the mech and run the chain off the large sprocket into the spokes and ruined their back wheel. Bit like wearing a helmet, looks ridiculous, but you'll be glad to had it one day!

Oddly I never wear a helmet, but I always keep (or put) spoke protectors on.
    "Coming through..."
  • Generally also known as a "dork disc". Instantly transforms the rider to a state of terminal uncoolness.

Must be removed, even from a BSO!
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    djrock wrote:
    I think it also protects the spokes. Since if the chain comes off it can cut gouges out of the spokes.

Yup.

I've had the chain come off the 25 and damage a spoke at the point where it hooks into the hub. The spoke eventually snapped.

Wasn't due to a rear mech in need of a tune, but me being a muppet in not sufficiently tightening the lock ring, allowing the cassette to move around.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    I had my chain drop off the big sproket on the old hybrid shortly after I got it, due to rider being stupid, only thing it damaged was the plastic disc.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • andysol
    andysol Posts: 125
    The plastic disc is eventually designed to come loose and cause annoying squeaks and rattles until you rip it off in a fit of frustration after finally figuring out the cause.
    Andy
    Evidently i mostly have a FCN of 1. I'm now a lady!
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    If the pros don't have it, then it must be discarded immediately. I don't make the rules.

Mind you, Chaingate might not have happened if Andy Schleck hadn't ripped his one off!
  • I've never had them. I'd rather run the risk and have people recognising me as the King of Two-wheeled Cooldom, than play safe and look like a Dorkasaurus Rex.

But that's just personal preference.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    I use two just to make sure...
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • merkin
    merkin Posts: 452
    TuckerUK wrote:
    It's there so you can smugly ride past riders who have either had a mech malfunction, or had something hit the mech and run the chain off the large sprocket into the spokes and ruined their back wheel. Bit like wearing a helmet, looks ridiculous, but you'll be glad to had it one day!

Oddly I never wear a helmet, but I always keep (or put) spoke protectors on.
    I can't see a spoke protector offering much head protection in a spill. :shock:
  • jds_1981 wrote:
    I use two just to make sure...
    I also fit one between the smallest sprocket and the frame... ;-)
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    If you fitted a really big one on both sides of the wheels it would be really aerodynamic.
  • If Andy Schleck had one of these last year, he'd have won the TdF, or died of embarrassment. One or the other.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    If you need the use of this thing then you're either climbing massive hills, or you need to MTFU! :wink:
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    If Andy Schleck had one of these last year, he'd have won the TdF, or died of embarrassment. One or the other.
    Possibly both.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I wish I'd had one on my MTB, the mech got knocked out of line by something, and when I went up onto the big cog the chain overshifted and did some chainsaw style damage to most of the driveside spokes, had to have them all replaced.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • bails87 wrote:
    I wish I'd had one on my MTB, the mech got knocked out of line by something, and when I went up onto the big cog the chain overshifted and did some chainsaw style damage to most of the driveside spokes, had to have them all replaced.

Very possibly, but we're talking about real bikes, sorry I meant road bikes.
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!