Routes/Hills in Derbyshire and Peaks

ash258369
ash258369 Posts: 19
Just wondering if anyone can recomend any routes around derbyshire and the peaks? I just want to make sure I'm not missing out an any cracking routes or hills nearby. Live in derby and ride up to 70-80 miles so can cover a wide area...

I know the best option would be to join a club but due to family and work I end up training at odd times so end up out on my own most of the time... (as good as a sun morn group ride with cafe stop sounds!)

Cheers

Comments

• avoid the A6 and you're pretty much sorted. Seriously, I just look at google maps, stick the contour view on and find where the lines are closest together. Loads of good places available. If you use the search facility on this forum you'll find other very similar topics with more specific suggestions :)
  • Depends how far North you can get as most of my rides are just South of Sheffield.
    Would be great to head up through Baslow, down to Hathersage, to Bamford then over Ladybower, towards Sheffield, Left over Strines then back over Holme Moss and head back to Glossop (old tour of the Peak route).
    Other highlights climbs wise are Froggat Edge (long steady 'alpine type' climb) and Curbar Edge (much steeper).
    You could also head to Monsal Head (through Bakewell) on Oct 9 to watch the hill climb
  • Which road is Froggatt Edge please? Is it the A625 heading north out of Froggatt?

Cheers...
  • Here's a route I'm planning on doing soon - takes in Curbar Gap and Winnats :)

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/49643458
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    Just head off into the hills, you can't go wrong round our way really.
    Get up to Crich then all along the top and drop down to the valley when its time to go home and boot it back down the A6 or just cross straight over it and upthe hills on t'other side youth !
    Also like it round the Manifold Valley and Hartington area but don't seem to get up there as often (similar time restricting factors to the OP).
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • Ash - lots of people in clubs end up training at odd times too and for £10 it's got to be worth joining a club for a year just to see if you like it.

That aside what routes are you doing at the moment. 80 miles from Derby gives you a massive choice of routes - right up to Buxton, Flash, Sheffield and right over to Stoke.

Have you tried heading out down Radbourne Lane way through to Ellastone and then up through Ramshorn towards Leek - there are some nice roads up there which make a change if you normally head straight North.

Up round Hartington is always nice - have you tried going up from Duffield to Hazelwood, Shottle, Bolehill, Middleton Top down to the Via down Nimblejack take the turn towards Bakewell past the Miners Standard but go left to Youlgrave, right at Youlgrave and take the back way to Monyash, then cross the A515 and work down to Hartington through to something like Wetton Mill and you can go home through Ashbourne or something. If you want to make it longer you could go from Monyash over to Longnor and then back via the Ellastone route above. Too many possibles to mention really.

Another option which you might not have tried is through to Kegworth via the lane next to Sawley Marina - then Gotham and into Leicestershire round Melton, Belvoir and down round East of Leicester. That makes a nice change from the Peak sometimes.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Which road is Froggatt Edge please? Is it the A625 heading north out of Froggatt?

Cheers...

Yes. That's one of the longer climbs in the Peaks, but not too steep.

Loads of great climbs.
    For scenery the road from Hathersage through Abney to Bretton, or the one from Strines just off the A57 to Bradfield or Burbage Edge north of Hathersage are some favorites
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    You are spoilt for great rides in this area, my advice is to go to a mapping sight, and I use ridewithgps and plot some routes from where you want to start. This will build a profile and distance to suit. One word of warning though these engines don't all give the same result for climbing metres and in my experience mapmyride rather under sells the metres climbed.
    Have fun and you can add notes to your saved route after the ride as a kind of log.
    :wink:
  • Thanks all! some good info there, will try and cover those in the next month or two....

Ive just been picking somewhere that sounds interesting then linking villages together to get a route using google maps so sounds like Im on the right lines

Tom - did something similar weekend before last. out the same way to ramshorn then up towards leek and back through Manifold Valley and Dovedale. Some cracking views on the way back (once I got below the clouds anyway)
  • Take a look at http://ridewithgps.com

You can search for routes and specify stuff like length climbs etc
    Simon