Boardman Pro Carbon

PR94
PR94 Posts: 6
edited February 2012 in Your road bikes
This is my Boardman Pro Carbon 2010.
The only changes i have made to the bike so far are the stem which i changed for a slightly shorter one, The saddle because i couldnt get comfy on the standard boardman one and most obviously the wheels.

dscf7903.jpg

dscf7892.jpg

dscf7887.jpg

Comments

• Wheels look good. Couple of suggestions...

Get a straight seatpost...

Get some yellow paint to match the yellow on the frame and paint the red stripe on the stem to match. That'll look really sweet!
  • That looks like it goes like stink!
    Very nice indeed.
    Kuota Kharma Race [Dry/Sunny]
    Raleigh Airlite 100 [Wet/Horrible]
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    Cut the steerer it's f-ugly
  • if you wanted the shorter stem you could've put a couple of spacers beneath it to make your position more upright? i think...

nice though, i agree with the yellow paint, and probably paint those tear drops on the wheels yellow too! :D
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    nochekmate wrote:
    Cut the steerer it's f-ugly

+1 as well as for yellow paint. Thought about black pedals?
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • fozzy17
    fozzy17 Posts: 339
    IMG_0598.jpg
    IMG_0599.jpg

a little more yellow
  • Nooooo! That looks blody awful compared to the first pics!
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    oh god, yellow hoods..

Just realised that they are two seperate people with different bikes.
  • I had a thought my team carbon might look good with white or yellow tyres. Thanks for convincing me it would look awful. Saved me some money!

OP - fab looking bike. Boardmans look good with black DS wheels!
    Boardman AIR 9.8, Zipp 303 Clinchers, SRAM red groupset.
  • PR94, congrats on your new bike. It should go like stink!

I'd move your saddle a bit more further forward (depending on KOPS) rather than get a new stem, your stem is already as short as good looks and, more importantly, good handling dictates. The shorter the stem the twitchier the handling will be and your downhill speed might suffer.

Try the stem a bit higher as someone suggested, hope that helps. Also, try stretching your back more, this is a far better solution than to shorten an already very short cockpit.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    You've got carried away - far too OTT on yellow - much prefer the original (even with the steerer length)
  • saprkzz
    saprkzz Posts: 592
    PR94, your bike looks awsome! and totally agree with making the teardrops on the wheels decals yellow! would look great.. no more though, as in the other pics.. too much yellow spoils a good thing!.
  • fozzy17 wrote:
    a little more yellow
    Who, sir, set up your bike? Would love to see a side-on picture of you riding it. You're saddle is rammed back and tilted downwards, but then you have a short, up-turned stem at the very top of the steerer and your brake levers are way high. DId you mean to buy a Harley? :-)

While I like you stem (Race Face Evolve?) I think you might find the reach a bit more bearable by shifting the saddle forward, leveling it, then raising it.

When a rider has their saddle so far back from your feet, your pelvis rotates/reclines back, which causes an uncomfortable curve in your spine when you reach for the bars. It looks like you experienced this and remediated it by tilting your saddle down and upturning the stem etc.

Not saying anything's wrong, just some food for thought.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • PR94
    Thanks for the comments guys.
    I do have to point out that the second set of pictures are a completly different bike and my bike is still the same as it is in the first pictures.

Will be cutting down the steerer but have not done it yet because i keep changing the height as i have not decided on a final position. I might get a proper fitting at the start of next year.

I have to say i don't like the yellow bar tape, hoods or tyres. I might paint the stem to make it match. Not sure about doing the wheels either as they will be used on more than one bike.
  • I wouldn't paint anything PR94.

Lots of people fall into the trap of over co-ordinating their bikes and the 2 bikes on this thread show how much better it is if you don't do it.

A bit of different colour e.g. the red on your stem shows that having the right stem is more important to you than having the right colour stem.

Sorry fozzy but I think you've gone too far with the yellow. Hoods or bar tape could be okay, both = not. Coloured tyres - just not a good thing IMO. Too garish when they first go on, and then after about 3 rides they look gash.
  • Fozzy I would try a set of Michelin Krylion Carbon tyres on the bike just a thin strip of yellow on the tyre. I'm going to put a set on mine in the next couple of weeks. Also got some yellow handle bar tape, but leaving the hoods Black. Just my opinion.
  • vespario
    vespario Posts: 228
    It is all personal.
    I think the yellow on FOzzy's bike looks fine!
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    IMG_0599.jpg

Nothing wrong with that. Just a little too much yellow on the handle bars. Needs to put black hoods on the levers or add some black to the bar tape somewhere/somehow. Course, he needs the matching saddle.........

T2AN8uXaNaXXXXXXXX_!!40773037.jpg

Velo Senso miles 1200
  • Far too much yellow.

Ditch the bar tape and the tyres.

Nice bike otherwise.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    That isn't really colour coordination at all. The Boardman is about 98% black and coordination would preserve that. Even that yellow and black saddle has far too much yellow on it. Ditto the Hoods. About all you'd want to keep things in proportion on the bars would be yellow stripes on the levers and maybe bar plugs.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    Rolf F wrote:
    That isn't really colour coordination at all. The Boardman is about 98% black and coordination would preserve that. Even that yellow and black saddle has far too much yellow on it. Ditto the Hoods. About all you'd want to keep things in proportion on the bars would be yellow stripes on the levers and maybe bar plugs.

Then go with a slightly blacker one....

2011%2B10%2B10%2B025
  • b16 b3n
    b16 b3n Posts: 301
    first pic GREAT 2nd pic did the simpsons have some input?
    " GET BACK CROC "
  • PR94
    Changed the saddle and pedals since the first pic. Just trying to sort out my position for the start of the race season now. Here is a vid which i took to see what my position looked like. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSsQ2jFDEHw Any tips on position would be great. Thanks
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    quote="FransJacques"]quote="fozzy17"a little more yellow[/quote][/quoteWho, sir, set up your bike? Would love to see a side-on picture of you riding it. You're saddle is rammed back and tilted downwards, but then you have a short, up-turned stem at the very top of the steerer and your brake levers are way high. DId you mean to buy a Harley? :-)

While I like you stem (Race Face Evolve?) I think you might find the reach a bit more bearable by shifting the saddle forward, leveling it, then raising it.

When a rider has their saddle so far back from your feet, your pelvis rotates/reclines back, which causes an uncomfortable curve in your spine when you reach for the bars. It looks like you experienced this and remediated it by tilting your saddle down and upturning the stem etc.

Not saying anything's wrong, just some food for thought.[/quote
  • whats the sweight??