Sprocket lock rings on track bikes

mz__jo
mz__jo Posts: 398
edited September 2011 in Track
I have seen reported on the french forum pignonfixe.com, several times now, that under UCI rules (apparently from 2006) sprocket lock rings are not allowed on track bikes. I have just been through this forum from beginning to end and find no mention of any such rule in all the beginners questions. It seems a daft rule to me (which probably means that the UCI are well able to impose it) and in my youth the rule was the opposite (lock rings compulsary).
I don't ride the track (no track available near me) but would like to know if only to satisfy my curoisity. Can anyone help please?

Comments

• Eddy S
    Eddy S Posts: 1,013
    The UCI regs are here - the technical stuff starts at page 57.

There's no reference to lock rings - it's rider choice/preference. My preference is to race with a lock ring.
    I’m a sprinter – I warmed up yesterday.
  • mz__jo
    mz__jo Posts: 398
    Thanks Eddy, that is reassuring. I am downloading but if the UCI has no position on lockrings at least common sense can prevail.
    I have now read the relevant bits. Amazing that they should need 5 revisions, including 3 in the space of 18 months for such a simple piece of text. Disc brakes on crossers must have tested them a bit.