XC Racing - Flat or Riser Bar?

evo3ben
evo3ben Posts: 552
edited September 2011 in MTB general
At present i am using a carbon 660mm low riser bar on my hardtail race bike which does feel ok but cant help think about the benifits of changing to flat bars with bar ends.

Can anyone share there experiances between the two with regards to comfort, climbing ability etc :)

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    I think the easiest way to test this is to flip the stem or move it down so the bars are at the height they would be with a flat bar and put some bar ends on and try it. Flat bars and bar ends are very popular over here where there is virtually no other option for MTBing that XC. Be warned though, narrow bars take some getting used to and unless you re a proper whippet will probably be quite uncomfortable

I ve got the Easton EA70 in 685mm with Cane Creek Ergo Bar ends on and I like them for riding here, but I'm putting my risers and skinny grips back on for my Pyrenees trip this in a few weeks!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • For XC bikes I love flat bars with some bar ends, and a low rise stem as well. Makes it a bit more comfortable for the longer rides, but since it's not really XC here, I will never ride with flat bars here.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Depends how high the front end is to start, and the shape and width of the bars. Some bikes with flat bars will be higher than others with risers.
  • Dave_P1
    Dave_P1 Posts: 565
    I prefer a riser bar as it gives me more control when riding. I did try my bike with a flat bar but it felt too twitchy.
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    680mm carbon flats for me

never got on with riser bars, just didnt feel right
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    580mm Flats with bar ends for me, although for a really technical course I'd possibly put on a 660 low riser for more control and a slightly more upright position.

The big advantage with Flats and bar ends come when climbing and sprinting-they just put you in a perfect position imo.

It is however a very personal choice and although flats and bar ends are possibly the most popular choice, I'm seeing more and more wider riser bars at races.....