Almost running?

mattshrops
mattshrops Posts: 1,134
edited September 2011 in The bottom bracket
just ate my porridge in front of tv.(whats the world coming to?)
IAAF World champs-
Him- "I've got a gold medal you know!"
You -"WOW THATS FANTASTIC -WHAT SPORT?"
Him- "Err yeah , er athletics world champs"
You- "REALLY WOW what event?"
Him- "You know at Daegu-the athletics"
You-"yes but what event?"
him-"er coughcough
You-"Sorry?
Him-"walking"
You-"Oh er yeah er great, well done.

I dont get it??????

Disclaimer- anyone wishing to state that "walkers are athletes and have probably worked very hard for years to achieve that standard and you just dismiss them like that........

1, please ensure you use the correct "john major voice" font
2,I dont care. :roll:
Death or Glory- Just another Story

Comments

• You don't get what?

Since your disclaimer tries to rule out any opposing viewpoint without actually making a valid point, I'll just go ahead and ignore it. You try walking that fast for that distance and see how far you get.

All the best.
  • People do laugh at the speed walking thing, but lord, just try it!! harder than running!
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    You know how when you walk fast even for a short distance you end up with your underpants creeping up your hole?

Imagine what it's like for them.
  • johnfinch wrote:
    You know how when you walk fast even for a short distance you end up with your underpants creeping up your hole?

Imagine what it's like for them.

Quite a few of them start with underpants up there :P
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    It's in the same class as having breaststroke, backstroke and butterfly in swimming for me. Just get from A to B as quickly as possible and stop making up stupid rules.
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    if one was being charitable towards the op(me) one could say it was an off the cuff attempt to open a discussion on the validity of walking and possibly other slightly off the wall sports. OR then again you could decide it was the rantings of an uneducated moron.
    Its only the internet and number 2 from the op applies :D:D (ooh look a smiley-does that mean hes joking??)
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    As Billy Connolly said, "That's not sport, it's cruising with a number".
  • Pep
    Pep Posts: 501
    Like it or not but they WALK faster than most young men in this forum can RUN.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Mens 10k record is 26 minutes. I think that's about 23kmh.

If you can find a treadmill that hits that speed - give it a go. It may look silly but is it any sillier than us in our Lycra and our funny shoes ?
  • True story:

i was sitting at a restaurant on the terrace, enjoying a nice beer, and a schnitzl, when a speed walker walked by. He must have been about 40, not a very fast speed walker, and literally looked like he was in the middle of his mid-life crisis. I just laughed and continued eating.

End of story. Pretty much sums up what I think of speed of walking. Worth a 2 second laugh, but not worth anymore.

Wasn'nt that cool?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    It's the closest land lovers get to breast-stroke.
  • tarquin_foxglove
    tarquin_foxglove Posts: 554
    edited September 2011
    cougie wrote:

Running...
    Distance..........W/R Time..Holder.....................Rep..Where.......When
    10,000 Metres 26:17.53 ..Kenenisa Bekele ....ETH .Bruxelles.26/08/2005
    10 Kilometres 26:44 .......Leonard Komon ......KEN .Utrecht ....26/09/2010
    20,000 Metres 56:26.0.....Haile Gebrselassie.ETH .Ostrava ...27/06/2007
    20 Kilometres 55:21........Zersenay Tadese ....ERI ...Lisboa ....21/03/2010

Walking
    Distance..........W/R Time..Holder......................Rep...Where.......When
    20,000 Metres 1:17:25.6 ..Bernardo Segura ..MEX .Bergen ....07/05/1994
    20 Kilometres ..1:17:16 ....Vladimir Kanaykin .RUS .Saransk .29/09/2007

Still quick but definitely possible for someone of moderate fitness to beat by running.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    cougie wrote:

If you can find a treadmill that hits that speed - give it a go. It may look silly but is it any sillier than us in our Lycra and our funny shoes ?

Err,that'd be the world 10k record for running. The walkers don't do 10ks - only 20 and 50km at the top level. Their time for 10km would probably be 35-40 minutes - which is still a quick enough pace ( ~ 6 minute miling in old money).

Not sure that cyclists, where one branch of the sport is dedicated to circling an indoor timber road in a variety of ways - individually, in pairs, in fours or as large groups - are in much of position to comment. If Hoy wins after a track stand, is his medal for "almost cycling?"
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    cougie wrote:

Running...
    Distance..........W/R Time..Holder.....................Rep..Where.......When
    10,000 Metres 26:17.53 ..Kenenisa Bekele ....ETH .Bruxelles.26/08/2005
    10 Kilometres 26:44 .......Leonard Komon ......KEN .Utrecht ....26/09/2010
    20,000 Metres 56:26.0.....Haile Gebrselassie.ETH .Ostrava ...27/06/2007
    20 Kilometres 55:21........Zersenay Tadese ....ERI ...Lisboa ....21/03/2010

Walking
    Distance..........W/R Time..Holder......................Rep...Where.......When
    20,000 Metres 1:17:25.6 ..Bernardo Segura ..MEX .Bergen ....07/05/1994
    20 Kilometres ..1:17:16 ....Vladimir Kanaykin .RUS .Saransk .29/09/2007

Still quick but definitely possible for someone of moderate fitness to beat by running.

I must be very unfit.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • It's the closest land lovers get to breast-stroke.

+1

swimming medals are a racket... medley relay!!!!!!!

how about a running relay 4X100m 1st leg over hurdles 2nd running backwards 3rd walking 4th sprinting
  • cougie
    Aah crap - my wikipedia powers failed me. Sorry.

OK so mens 10k pace is about 38 and a half minutes walking.

I don't think a moderately fit runner would beat that. Does depend on your definition of fitness though
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    I ran in a 10k road race a couple of months ago. The winner came in in 31 something; medals went to out for those in the region to 38 minutes. The bulk of us came in 40 - 55 minutes or so I'd guess. There were 300 runners in total.

So our world record 20k walker might have got himself some sort of prize at our low key 10k.

:roll:
  • my 10k pb (running) is 43'30 and i'll usually finish in the top 25% of most 10k races. to walk 10k in 38 mins is very impressive in my book.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    It's the closest land lovers get to breast-stroke.

+1

swimming medals are a racket... medley relay!!!!!!!

how about a running relay 4X100m 1st leg over hurdles 2nd running backwards 3rd walking 4th sprinting

Mididoctors 3?
  • Any half decent running club should have a few members capable of doing sub 35 minute 10k's. Whether you classify them as moderately fit is another matter.
  • cougie
    Exactly - the sub 35 ers would be a lowish single figure percentage of the total membership of the running club. Thats a bloody impressive pace they're setting.
  • I didn't specify distance...

and anyway it was more a rebuttal of:
    Pep wrote:
    Like it or not but they WALK faster than most young men in this forum can RUN.
    &
    cougie wrote:
    I think that's about 23kmh.

If you can find a treadmill that hits that speed - give it a go.

That's my story & I'm sticking to it.

:wink: