Cube stereo upgrades

leevil knievil
leevil knievil Posts: 162
edited September 2011 in MTB general
Wasn't really sure where to put this post so stuck it in here, i have a 2010 cube and was wondering if anybody else on here had done upgrades for weight i think the bike weighs 12.8kg from shop bought specs, is this heavy for a mtb?, the performance of the bike is good so far but cant really compare it because i have not rode anything else, i have been riding for just over a year now done a few trail centres on it etc and rides up in the peak district, i am struggling to get some air time on table tops at trail centres part of that though is having the nuts not too be bothered about smashing my face in. Any advice appreciated, the only thing i have changed is the tyres was not happy with the fat alberts for grip so changed to conti mountain kings which seem to be better, this is not about the bike looking good more about performance, thanks in advance Lee
work hard, play hard, fall hard

cube stereo 2010

Felt Z95 2013

Comments

• I've got a 2010 Cube Stereo 'the one' myself, i've done a few upgrades on it as well.....

Firstly i would prob say unless your willing to start splashing out on new wheels and such then any "weight saving" upgrades you make won't make much difference or at least not much noticable difference anyways.

I also got rid of the Fat Alberts pretty quickly after buying it, i found them to be pretty skittish as well, most people i know with a cube and these tyres have said the same, so glad to hear it wasn't all in my head :)

I've also removed the big ring at the front and replaced it with a bash guard and chain guide to stop the chain coming off as that was doing my head in and i never used the big ring anyways!

Dunno if yours came with one, but i had to get a Rear shock mudguard thing to protect the Rear shock from all the crap that gets flung right at it during winter, i would def recommend getting one of these if you don't already have one. Its called a Cube MuddyBoard if i remember correctly and its carbon....and not cheap :( But its worth it as it saves the rear shock from getting clogged up with mud!

A bit more speed would prob sort your Air time problem i would imagine :)
  • Thanks for the reply, yes would be willing to spend some money, i have looked at wheels but not really sure what to look for, didn't go for the muddy board just too expensive i thought for what it was have put a lizard skins neoprene cover on this does the job ok, yes more speed my head keeps telling me this but then my nuts start to shrink am ok over the smaller lips but anything that goes a bit vertical arse twitching time will go for it again next time i need to invest in some pads.

cube stereo 2010

Felt Z95 2013
  • Eranu
    Eranu Posts: 712
    All I've changed is the grips, those foam things are worse than useless, stem, shorter, and bars, wider riser.

As for air time, maybe it's technique rather than the bike?
  • kinmofo
    kinmofo Posts: 172
    air time isn't about the bike imho, can u bunny hop? if i can bunny hop, and can control the bike in the air (rotating back or forwards) then u can control ur self in the air and decide how much air u want when ur about to jump,

If u cant bunny hop, i'd strongly suggest learning to do this first.
    I'm a Nazi Zombie! And You Cant Kill Me!

Out of all the things I've lost, I miss my Mind the most!

dont get mad, get KROSS
  • Thought about shortening the stem but i like the riding position its just upright enough, as for bunny hopping yes no problem used to ride a bmx a lot as a kid, i think the jumping is more of a mental thing and what i have been doing is not compressing the bike and letting the bike just do its own thing.

cube stereo 2010

Felt Z95 2013