Megavalanche 2011

Lazarus
Lazarus Posts: 1,426
edited September 2011 in MTB general
Sorry guys if this has been posted before ( but i cannot find it :) ) but i was wondering what you guys get up to when I'm cycling up Alpe D'Huez on my road bike :twisted: and found these.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebTcu-l05zE&NR=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfwTlTxhbG0&feature=related

only linked the first part of each one :)

To me the video quality looks awesome and so does the riding......hope you enjoy.
A punctured bicycle
On a hillside desolate
Will nature make a man of me yet ?

Comments

• yeah good vids - gotta do it one year. Looks like a right laugh :D
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Watching those vids and that looks (pun partially intended) mega! I'd really love to do the mega one year, maybe in a couple of summers time, once I'm a little fitter and better on a bike. I've only been riding downhill a few months, and while I'd consider myself competent, I don't think I could ride that sort of thing quickly while riding most of it blind!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • kinmofo
    kinmofo Posts: 172
    that is freaking AWESOME! the qualifying looks fun, he smashed it on qualifying! must be anoying trying to nail it but get caught in all that trafic lol

i'd like to have a go at that! but it was a 1hr race. that would be killer on both rider and bike!!!
    I'm a Nazi Zombie! And You Cant Kill Me!

Out of all the things I've lost, I miss my Mind the most!

dont get mad, get KROSS
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    It's on The Big List Of Things To Do for me along with the Mountain of Hell the week after... Though presumably I'd **** it up and crash instantly or puncture on the very first rock. Probably makes a lot more sense just to go for a regular alpine holiday but this sort of event is awesome

(if you fancy something sorta-kinda-similiar-ish but a little cheaper, then check out the No Fuss Endurance Downhill at Fort William next year, it's fantastic... Doesn't cost that much more than a regular uplift day either but what a blast)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • @ ilovedirt - see you there in a couple of summers then! :D
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    @ ilovedirt - see you there in a couple of summers then! :D
    haha maybe mate

@northwind - I think before i attempt something like the mega, i'd want to do an alpine holiday first anyway, to get an idea of what the riding is actually going to be like, before i chuck myself down a mountain blind in a race!

I would love to have a crack at that no fuss endurance though, thinking about having a go next year maybe.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Great vid's, would like to know where he come in the end
  • kinmofo
    Welsh_Tom wrote:
    Great vid's, would like to know where he come in the end

at a guess (he was pretty close to front) i'd say between 20th and 50th. this is a complete random plucked outta the air guess. so dont take it as gospel lol

dont get mad, get KROSS
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    Great vid's! But I was knackered just watching them... :oops:
    Welsh_Tom wrote:
    Do you mean in the race? He qualified in 10th.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • Hob Nob
    Hob Nob Posts: 200
    kinmofo wrote:
    Welsh_Tom wrote:

at a guess (he was pretty close to front) i'd say between 20th and 50th. this is a complete random plucked outta the air guess. so dont take it as gospel lol

He was on the same row as me for the main race, although he qualified a couple of places ahead of me (no rear mech for the last 1/3 - thankfully it wasn't flat at that point).

He was well down in the 100's at the end - unless you start on one of the first 2 rows (not the 5th row like us), you haven't got a hope in hell of doing well, as the start is like a warzone in the pack.

Bit more training for next year. Aiming for top 5 on my quali (excluding mechanicals again!) so I will be on one of the first 2 rows to hopefully have half a chance of doing alright in the main event.

It's one of those events everyone should do though. If you want to do well in the qualifier absolutely bury yourself for the first 5 minutes or so, until you hit the singletrack off the fireroad, because if you hit that in the main pack you don't stand a chance. There is a huge disparity of riding standards and all it takes is one mincer to stop on a teccy bit and you have a 100 rider traffic jam with very few overtaking chances.
  • it looks great fun... sadly for me i have only just found rideing by the time i get any good i will be to old to have a go, but there is alwasy hope :lol:
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    We are planning on doing this next year :shock: :shock:
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • my mate tried it this year, but managed to break himself during practicing : alp duez

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_paIrTh ... re=related
    2011 Rockhopper Comp
    24/Seven Deviant.
    Orange Diva (for the bint)
  • Hob Nob
    There are plenty of women who do the race, so you won't be alone, just the quali & race days, if you are riding with partners/another bunch of guys.

Impressive crash there to go out the front door on that bit - the roller wasn't even steep :shock:
  • wobbem
    wobbem Posts: 283
    Looks like perfect long travel fs 29er territory to me :)
    Don't think, BE:
  • kinmofo
    i like some of the music off the main race videos, but fcuked if i can find out what it is, so if any one fancies helping me it'd be much appreciated. the one i have no clue, cant find no artist anything is part 3 of 4, and its from 8:15 till just near the end of the video. cant find no info on it what so ever. and then the firsts track in part 4 of 4, i know its dirt off your shoulder by jay z, but... the version played in the video is a different version to that which is all i can find. please please please help

dont get mad, get KROSS
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Hob Nob wrote:
    There are plenty of women who do the race, so you won't be alone, just the quali & race days, if you are riding with partners/another bunch of guys.

Apparently 55 this year (out of 1000's of blokes!)! :shock: :?

The thought of it absolutely terrifies me - but then most things worth doing are a bit scary, right?!! :lol:
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • Hob Nob
    Yeah, that's about right.

It's not scary really (women's race is very civilised). My Mrs did it, but then she rides and races a lot of DH.

The quali track is harder than the main race, but neither of them are what I would consider DH quality hard. They are more what I would call singletrack with an obvious gravity bias.

Funnily enough, we're from Southampton too!