Help! MTB Transmission

BigColUK
BigColUK Posts: 69
edited September 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello

I am pulling my hair out at the moment! I have a Spesh Stumpjumper which is about 18 months old and while I am still a beginner, I have been getting more and more confident and therefore riding the bike harder and harder.

Recently the back gears have been slipping so I ordered a new chain. Things got worse with the new chain and I needed to replace the front small ring (as it was dragging the new chain up into the front mech). I also changed the jockey wheels as these were worn and I have got my LBS to fit new gar cables (front and rear). I've changed the rear cassette as well. All the parts are good quality (XTR front mech & chainset, XTR chain, high quality cables, SRAM X0 shifters and rear mech and the only change I have made to the configuration is changing the XTR cassette for an XT one because of the cost difference).

At the moment, the gears are shifting perfectly but when I put load on the drivechain (eg, stood up cycling up hill) they start crunching and slipping at the back.

Do I need to replace my middle chainring? It doesn't look too worn but I suppose I don't really know what constitutes as properly worn.

I do not want to replace the middle chainring unless I have to as I have already spent over £200 on this problem and the middle chainring for a M970 at CRC is £92.

Any advice would be really useful.

Thanks

Col.

Comments